Columbia University Archives
 

Faculty Meeting Minutes, 1864-2011

Summary Information

At a Glance

Call No.: UA#0005
Bib ID 13873955 View CLIO record
Creator(s) Columbia University. Archives
Title Faculty Meeting Minutes, 1864-2011
Physical Description 25.54 linear feet (108 bound volumes and 12 document boxes)
Language(s) English .
Access

All administrative records of the University are restricted for 25 years from the date of creation.

This collection is located on-site.

Arrangement

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in nine series.

Description

Summary

This collection contains the recorded minutes from the different faculty meetings: from the representative University Council to the individual schools (Columbia College, Engineering, Journalism, Law, etc.). Faculty meeting minutes include information on admissions, the academic calendar, curricular changes, faculty appointments and leaves, student petitions, fellowships, grants, prizes, and graduation requirements among other topics. Unfortunately, this collection is not complete. Additional minutes can be found in the record collections of the different faculties. For example, there is complete set of the minutes of the Faculty of Columbia College in the Columbia College records. Similarly, the minutes of the Seth Low Junior College and the minutes for the New York School of Social Work can be found in their respective collections.

  • Series I. University Council, 1890-1968

    In 1888 the Trustees appointed a special committee to establish a University Council, a body to bring about "a true University organization." Each faculty would elect two or three representatives who, together with the President and the Deans, would constitute the Council. In 1892 the University Council was given definite legislative and administrative powers (not just an advisory role) and continued to serve until 1968, when it was replaced by the University Senate. The Council, working with the President, managed the academic organization and operations of the University, including admission criteria, degree requirements, the academic calendar, the date and order of Commencement exercises. In addition to the meeting minutes, the volumes include lists of recipients of Ph.D.s, M.A.s, fellowships, and awards, as well as reports prepared by/for the Council. In the back of each volume, there is a name/subject index for each academic year included in the volume. University Senate committee minutes can be found in the University Senate records. Plenary minutes starting from April 28, 1995, are available on their website.

  • Series II. Graduate Faculties, 1883-1988

    The Faculty of Political Science was established in 1880 by John W. Burgess. This was the first step in transforming Columbia College into Columbia University in the City of New York. The Faculty of Philosophy came into being in 1890, and the Faculty of Pure Science, in 1892. These faculties required students to have a bachelor's degree for admission; focused on research and the advancement of learning; and offered the highest degree, the Ph.D. Starting in 1909, these faculties shared a Dean. In 1979, the Faculties officially merged as the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

  • Series III. Columbia College, 1892-1975

    The Faculty of Columbia College (previously known as the Faculty of the School of the Arts) refers to the faculty teaching undergraduate students. There is another complete set of the minutes of the Faculty of Columbia College in the Columbia College records (UA#0047)

  • Series IV. School of Engineering, 1864-2011

    Founded as the School of Mines in 1864, the faculty became the Faculty of Applied Science in 1892, the Faculty of Engineering in January 1929 and the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science in May 1962. The School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS) was renamed the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science in 1997. The early minutes of the Faculty of the School of Mines (Volumes 59 to 64) are handwritten and include information about graduates and doctoral student concentrations in the back of the volumes.

  • Series V. School of General Studies, 1910-1982

    The School of General Studies traces its beginnings to the nineteenth century when it served part-time students, active teachers, other professionals, and the general public. Originally called University Extension, the school granted Bachelor of Science degrees beginning in 1921. Following World War II and aiming to meet the needs of returning G.I.s, University Extension was restructured and designated the School of General Studies in 1947. The college began awarding Bachelor of Arts degrees in 1968.

  • Series VI. School of Journalism, 1912-1977

    The School of Journalism was established through monies left to Columbia University in the will of Joseph Pulitzer, renowned photojournalist and newspaper magnate, who passed away in 1911. The original agreements regarding the establishment and organization of the school were made in 1903 and 1904, but the school did not actually open until 1912 – a year after Pulitzer died. The School of Journalism began as an undergraduate school offering a B.Litt. Degree to its graduates, but in 1935 the School became the first in the nation to adopt a program exclusively at the graduate level.

  • Series VII. School of Law, 1880-1977

    The study of law at Columbia University dates back to its founding in 1754 as King's College in Lower Manhattan. In 1793, James Kent was named the first professor of law at Columbia. The School of Law, as a separate faculty, started in 1858, as one of the first independent law schools in the nation.

  • Series VIII. Teachers College, 1898-1963

    Founded in 1887, Teachers College is first and largest graduate school of education in the United States. The College became affiliated with Columbia University in 1898 as the University's Graduate School of Education.

  • Series IX. Other Faculty Minutes, 1904-1979

    This series contains minutes, usually one volume, from a number of different faculties including the School of Architecture, Business, and Library Service.

Using the Collection

Rare Book and Manuscript Library

Restrictions on Access

All administrative records of the University are restricted for 25 years from the date of creation.

This collection is located on-site.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. The RBML maintains ownership of the physical material only. Copyright remains with the creator and his/her heirs. The responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.

Preferred Citation

Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Faculty Meeting Minutes; Box and Folder or Volume Number, University Archives, Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Columbia University Library.

Related Materials

Columbia College records (UA#0047); School of Social Work records (UA#0099); Seth Low Junior College records (UA#0227); and Columbia University Senate records (UA#0054).

Accruals of Records

Additions are expected.

About the Finding Aid / Processing Information

Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Joanna Rios. Finding aid written by Joanna Rios in May 2019.

Revision Description

2019-05-12 File created.

2019-06-11 EAD was imported spring 2019 as part of the ArchivesSpace Phase II migration.

2021-01-22 Added Faculty of Business minutes (Boxes 10-12 and Volumes 107-108) (JR)

Subject Headings

The subject headings listed below are found in this collection. Links below allow searches at Columbia University through the Archival Collections Portal and through CLIO, the catalog for Columbia University Libraries, as well as ArchiveGRID, a catalog that allows users to search the holdings of multiple research libraries and archives.

All links open new windows.

Genre/Form

Heading "CUL Archives:"
"Portal"
"CUL Collections:"
"CLIO"
"Nat'l / Int'l Archives:"
"ArchivedGRID"
Minute books Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
minutes (administrative records) Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID

Subject

Heading "CUL Archives:"
"Portal"
"CUL Collections:"
"CLIO"
"Nat'l / Int'l Archives:"
"ArchivedGRID"
Columbia College (Columbia University) Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University -- Administration Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University -- Faculty Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Faculty of Fine Arts Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Faculty of Philosophy Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Faculty of Political Science Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Faculty of Pure Science Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Graduate School of Business Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Graduate School of Journalism Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of General Studies Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of International Affairs Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of International and Public Affairs Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of Law Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of Library Service Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of Mines Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of the Arts Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Teachers College Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. University Council Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. University Extension Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID

History / Biographical Note

Historical Note

The Faculty Meeting Minutes have been collected by Columbiana curators and University Archives staff over the years. For information about the different faculties, see the series descriptions.

Due to COVID-19 restrictions, only Columbia affiliates may view materials on-site. After clicking 'Submit Request', affiliates will login with their UNI and password. Appointments are required and will be arranged according to each individual repository's policy.


Series I. University Council, 1890-1968

In 1888 the Trustees appointed a special committee to establish a University Council, a body to bring about "a true University organization." Each faculty would elect two or three representatives who, together with the President and the Deans, would constitute the Council. In 1892 the University Council was given definite legislative and administrative powers (not just an advisory role) and continued to serve until 1968, when it was replaced by the University Senate. The Council, working with the President, managed the academic organization and operations of the University, including admission criteria, degree requirements, the academic calendar, the date and order of Commencement exercises. In addition to the meeting minutes, the volumes include lists of recipients of Ph.D.s, M.A.s, fellowships, and awards, as well as reports prepared by/for the Council. In the back of each volume, there is a name/subject index for each academic year included in the volume. University Senate committee minutes can be found in the University Senate records. Plenary minutes starting from April 28, 1995, are available on their website.



Volume 1 1890 May to 1892 May



Volume 2 1892 November to 1896 May

Under the 22 November 1892 minutes: "Proposed Agreement Between the Trustees of Columbia College and the New York College for the Training of Teachers"

5 December 1893: "Report of Committee on the Award of University Fellowships", "Regulations as to University Fellowships: Approved by the University Council, February 14, 1891",[Exhibit A] Application for a University Fellowship, [Exhibit B] Report on Application for Fellowship 16 January 1894: "The Degree of Doctor of Philosophy: Suggestions by William A. Keener and Henry F. Osborn", "Degrees of Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy: Remarks by Professor John W. Burgess in Committee, February 24, 1893", "Degrees of Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy: Remarks by Professor John W. Burgess in Committee, February 24, 1893 and April 6, 1893", "The Practice of German Universities Concerning I.--The Duplication of Degrees and II.--The Subdivision of Subjects for the Degree of Ph.D.: A Correspondence Carried on in 1893"

20 February 1894: "University Faculty of Philosophy: Report of Special Committee Appointed November 10, 1893 to Revise the List of Subjects to be Accepted for the Degrees of A.M. and Ph.D."

20 March 1894: "Protest of the Faculty of the School of Mines Against the Plan for Awarding University Fellowships", "University Council Report on the Acceptance of Degrees from Other Colleges as Equivalent to Graduation from the School of Arts"

27 May 1895: "School of Mines Report of the Committee on the Regulations for the Degrees of Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy"

18 February 1896: "Report of the Committee on the Regulations for the Degrees of Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy, January 21, 1896"



Volume 3 1896 October to 1902 June

Under the 13 January 1898 minutes: "Letter of the President to the Committee on Education in Regard to the Modification of the Alliance Between the Teachers College and Columbia University, 21 December 1897"



Volume 4 1902 November to 1906 May

Under the 18 April 1905 minutes: "Report of a Special Committee on the Establishment of the Degree of Doctor of Law, Submitted April 18, 1905"

17 April 1906: "Report of a Special Committee on the Constitution and Powers of the University Council, To be Submitted April 17, 1906"



Volume 5 1906 October to 1909 June

Under the 18 December 1906 minutes: "Report of a Special Committee on the Constitution and Powers of the University Council, Submitted April 17, 1906", "Memorandum by President Butler in relation to the policy to be pursued by Columbia University toward athletic sports and intercollegiate contests, 8 November 1906"

19 February 1907: "Report of the Second Special Committee on the Constitution and Powers of the University Council, Submitted February 19, 1907"

15 October 1907: "Report of the Special Committee on Academic Leaves of Absence, Submitted July 1, 1907"

19 May 1908: "Extract From the Report of the Committee on Finance Submitted to the Trustees of Columbia University, May 4, 1908"

16 February 1909: "Amendments to the Statutes [regulating the retiring allowance of professors]"

20 April 1909: "Report of the Committee on Nine of the University Council Appointed May 19, 1908, Submitted February 16, 1909"



Volume 6 1909 October to 1915 April

Under the 21 December 1909 minutes: "Report of the Committee on Five of the University Council on Departmental and Divisional Organization, Submitted December 21, 1909"

15 February 1910: "Letter From the Director of Extension Teaching to the University Council, February 8, 1910"

19 April 1910: "Report of the Committee on Education on the Extension of the Combined College and Professional School Course"

8 October 1910: "Report of a Committee of the University Council on the Degree of Master of Arts"

22 March 1911: "Report of Committee of Advice"

18 April 1911: "Considerations Regarding the Degree of Doctor of Law, April 3, 1911"

17 October 1911: "Report of the Committee on Instruction of the Faculty of Applied Science Upon the Proposed Six-Year Course Leading to the Degrees in Engineering"

20 October 1914: "Memorandum on Proposed Instruction in Business and Public Service"

20 April 1915: "Papers Relating to the Game of Football, Printed for the University Council February 16, 1915", "Report of the College Committee on Football"



Volume 7 1915 October to 1921 April

Under the 19 October 1915 minutes: "Agreement Between Columbia University and Teachers College, June 8, 1915"

18 April 1916: "Report and Recommendations of the Faculty of Medicine, Printed for the University Council December 2, 1915"

16 October 1917: "Report of the Committee on Nine of the University Council appointed to cooperate with a Special Committee of the Trustees, March 22, 1917"

16 April 1918: "Joint Report of the Committee on Education and the Special Committee on the State of Teaching Concerning the Establishment of a Committee of Reference, Submitted to the Trustees February 4, 1918"

20 April 1920: "Report to the University Council of the Executive Committee of the Council Concerning 'University Undergraduates'"

15 February 1921: "The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York and Presbyterian Hospital in the City of New York: Agreements", "The Building of Columbia University and its Next Problems, by President Butler, A Statement made to the University Council, February 15, 1921"



Volume 8 1921 October to 1925 April



Volume 9 1925 October to 1930 April

Under the 21 February 1928 minutes: "Papers Relative to the Proposed Incorporation of St. Stephen's College, Annandale, N.Y., in the Educational System of Columbia University, 1928"

16 October 1928: "Report of the Council for Research in the Social Sciences" [These reports were subsequently printed annually in the Council's minutes], "Report of the Council for Research in the Humanities" [These reports were subsequently printed annually in the Council's minutes until 1938 and between 1956 and 1968].



Volume 10 1930 October to 1934 April



Volume 11 1934 October to 1937 April



Volume 12 1937 October to 1940 April



Volume 13 1940 October to 1943 April



Volume 14 1943 October to 1947 April



Volume 15 1947 October to 1950 April



Volume 16 1950 October to 1954 April



Volume 17 1954 October to 1958 April



Volume 18 1958 October to 1961 April



Volume 19 1961 October to 1965 April



Volume 20 1965 October to 1968 May


Executive Committee of the University Council minutes

(The Committee considered admission to candidacy for higher degrees. A name index for the candidates for each academic year is included in the back of the volume.)



Volume 21 1914 October to 1921 May



Volume 22 1921 October to 1939 May



Volume 23 1939 October to 1952 April



Box 1 Folder 1 1952 October to 1954 May


Box 1 Folder 2 1954 October to 1956 April


Box 1 Folder 3 1956 October to 1960 April


Box 1 Folder 4 Committee on Agenda of the University Council minutes, 1960 October to 1966 February


Box 1 Folder 5-6 Committee of Conference of the University Council minutes, 1918 February to 1940 December

(After some questionable faculty appointment terminations, the University Council requested and was granted a fully representative committee which would confer with the Trustees' Committee on Education whenever the latter was considering the termination of a professor. They would jointly consider what an appropriate action was. The Committee on Conference was made up of the President of the University and six members of the teaching staff. There are no minutes from 1921 April to 1934 November and there are gaps from 1935 to 1940. Included are supporting materials from 1918 to 1926.)


Box 1 Folder 7 Yearly indices to the minutes of the Executive Committee of the University Council, 1924-1959



Volume 24 Committee on Higher Degrees minutes, 1902 December to 1914 May

Series II. Graduate Faculties, 1883-1988

The Faculty of Political Science was established in 1880 by John W. Burgess. This was the first step in transforming Columbia College into Columbia University in the City of New York. The Faculty of Philosophy came into being in 1890, and the Faculty of Pure Science, in 1892. These faculties required students to have a bachelor's degree for admission; focused on research and the advancement of learning; and offered the highest degree, the Ph.D. Starting in 1909, these faculties shared a Dean. In 1979, the Faculties officially merged as the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.


Faculty of Political Science minutes, 1883-1979

(Before 1957 the graduate faculties were divided into three separate faculties. Courses taught by the Faculty of Political Science included the following disciplines: Anthropology (starting in 1946-1947 before that it was part of the Faculty of Philosophy), Economics, History, Mathematical Statistics, Public Law and Government, and Sociology.)



Volume 25 1883 to 1897



Volume 26 1897 to 1919



Volume 27 1920 to 1939



Volume 28 1940 to 1949



Volume 29 1950 to 1962



Volume 30 1963 to 1970



Volume 31 1950 to 1976


Faculty of Political Science Committee on Instruction minutes, 1915-1979



Box 2 Folder 1 1915 January


Box 2 Folder 2 1919 November to 1939 May


Box 2 Folder 3 1939 September to 1945 December


Box 2 Folder 4 1946 January to 1952 November


Box 2 Folder 5 1953 January to 1958 December


Box 2 Folder 6 1959 January to 1961 April



Box 3 Folder 1 1961 May to 1963 May


Box 3 Folder 2 1963 May to 1964 May


Box 3 Folder 3 1964 October to 1967 May


Box 3 Folder 4 Subject index cards, 1919-1963



Volume 32 1959 to 1979


Faculty of Philosophy minutes, 1890-1976

(Before 1957 the graduate faculties were divided into three separate faculties. Courses taught by the Faculty of Philosophy included the following disciplines: Anthropology (until 1946 when it moved to the Faculty of Political Science), Classical Philology, Chinese, English and Comparative Literature, Germanic Languages, Indo-Iranian Languages, Japanese, Linguistics, Philosophy, Psychology (until 1947 when it moved to the Faculty of Pure Science), Religion, Romance Languages, Semitic Languages, and Slavic Languages.)



Volume 33 1890 to 1903



Volume 34 1900 to 1921



Volume 35 1921 to 1941



Volume 36 1941 to 1962



Volume 37 1956 to 1976


Faculty of Philosophy Committee on Instruction minutes



Box 3 Folder 5 1906 to 1911

(Originally called the Committee on Program of Studies)



Volume 38 1965 to 1975


Faculty of Pure Science minutes, 1892-1979

(Before 1957 the graduate faculties were divided into three separate faculties. Courses taught by the Faculty of Pure Science included the following disciplines: Astronomy, Botany, Geology, Geography, Mineralogy (up to 1939), Mathematics, Physics, Psychology (starting in 1947), and Zoology.)



Volume 39 1892 September to 1932 April



Volume 40 1909 to 1925



Volume 41 1926 to 1941



Volume 42 1941 to 1951



Volume 43 1944 to 1970



Volume 44 1951 to 1962



Volume 45 1955 to 1976


Faculty of Pure Science Committee on Instruction minutes



Box 3 Folder 6 1910 to 1921



Volume 46 1964 to 1979


Joint Graduate Committee on Instruction minutes, 1911-1969



Volume 47 1911 to 1922



Volume 48 1922 to 1939



Volume 49 1939 to 1955



Volume 50 1955 to 1965



Volume 51 1965 to 1969


Graduate School of Arts and Sciences minutes, 1971-1981



Volume 52 1971 to 1975



Volume 53 1976 to 1981



Volume 54 Executive Committee of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Subcommittee on Curriculum minutes, 1979-1988

Series III. Columbia College, 1892-1975

The Faculty of Columbia College (previously known as the Faculty of the School of the Arts) refers to the faculty teaching undergraduate students. There is another complete set of the minutes of the Faculty of Columbia College in the Columbia College records (UA#0047)



Volume 55 1892 September to 1900 May



Volume 56 1900 October to 1908 June



Volume 57 1908 October to 1916 June



Volume 58 1916 October to 1932 May



Box 4 Folder 1 1932-1933 to 1939-1940


Box 4 Folder 2 1940-1941 to 1943-1944


Box 4 Folder 3 1944-1945 to 1947-1948


Box 4 Folder 4 1948-1949 to 1951-1952


Box 4 Folder 5 1952-1953 to 1953-1954


Box 4 Folder 6 1954-1955 to 1955-1956


Box 4 Folder 7 1956-1957 to 1958-1959


Box 4 Folder 8 1959-1960 to 1962-1963


Box 4 Folder 9 1963-1964 to 1964-1965


Box 4 Folder 10 1965-1966 to 1967-1968



Box 5 Folder 1 1968-1969 to 1972-1973 and 1975 November


Columbia College Committee on Admissions, 1898-1909

(Formerly known as the Committee on Entrance Examinations)



Box 9 Folder 1 1898 February to 1901 March


Box 9 Folder 2 1901 May to 1909 July


Columbia College Committee on Scholarships, 1899-1921


Box 9 Folder 3 1899 June to 1910 May


Box 9 Folder 4 1899 June to 1907 June

(Incomplete set, with mostly duplicate copies, but it does include some with annotations and "corrections.")


Box 9 Folder 5 1910 July to 1914 June


Box 9 Folder 6 1915 March to 1921 May

Series IV. School of Engineering, 1864-2011

Founded as the School of Mines in 1864, the faculty became the Faculty of Applied Science in 1892, the Faculty of Engineering in January 1929 and the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science in May 1962. The School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS) was renamed the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science in 1997. The early minutes of the Faculty of the School of Mines (Volumes 59 to 64) are handwritten and include information about graduates and doctoral student concentrations in the back of the volumes.


Faculty of the School of Mines minutes, 1864-1892



Volume 59 1864 February to 1870 February



Volume 60 1865 October to 1877 May

(Includes list of graduates (1868 to 1870) and a copy of the School of Mines by-laws.)



Volume 61 1877 September to 1883 June

(Includes list PhD candidates course and subjects in the back of the book.)



Volume 62 1883 October to 1887 April



Volume 63 1887 May to 1890 October



Volume 64 1890 November to 1892 May


Faculty of the School of Applied Sciences minutes, 1892-1928



Box 5 Folder 2 1892 September to 1894 May


Box 5 Folder 3 1894 October to 1896 May



Volume 65 1896 May to 1907 May



Volume 66 1907 October to 1928 December


Faculty of the School of Engineering minutes, 1917-1978

(The Faculty of Applied Science changes names to the Faculty of Engineering in January 1929 and to the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science in May 1962.)



Volume 67 1917 January to 1936 December



Box 5 Folder 4 1937 January to 1939 April


Box 5 Folder 5 1939 October to 1942 April


Box 5 Folder 6 1942 October to 1944 April


Box 5 Folder 7 1944 October to 1947 April


Box 5 Folder 8 1948 February to 1949 May


Box 5 Folder 9 1950 March to 1952 April


Box 5 Folder 10 1953 April to 1956 May


Box 5 Folder 11 1957 April to 1958 April



Box 6 Folder 1 1958 October to 1961 May


Box 6 Folder 2 1962 May to 1965 May


Box 6 Folder 3 1966 March to 1968 May


Box 6 Folder 4 1969 April to 1970 April, 1969, 1970


Box 6 Folder 5 1970 May to 1971 April, 1970, 1971


Box 6 Folder 6 1971 May to 1973 April, 1971, 1973


Box 6 Folder 7 1973 October to 1974 May, 1973, 1974



Box 7 Folder 1 1974 September to 1978 May, 1974, 1978


Faculty of the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science minutes,, 2002-2010

(The School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS) was renamed the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science in 1997.)


Box 7 Folder 2 2002 May 8

(Restricted until 2028)


Box 7 Folder 3 2010 May 5, 2010

(Restricted until 2036)


Faculty of Engineering Committee on Instruction minutes, 1913-2011


Box 7 Folder 4 1913 May to 1920 November



Volume 68 1917 January to 1936 December



Volume 69 1937 January to 1944 August



Volume 70 1944 September to 1950 October



Volume 71 1950 November to 1960 May



Box 7 Folder 5 1960 September to 1962 May


Box 7 Folder 6 1962 September to 1964 November


Box 7 Folder 7 1981 November to 1981 December


Box 7 Folder 8 1984 December


Box 7 Folder 9 2003 May 6

(Restricted until 2029)


Box 7 Folder 10 2008 January 30

(Restricted until 2034)


Box 7 Folder 11 2011 May 10

(Restricted until 2037)



Box 8 Folder 9 Faculty of Applied Science and Architecture Committee on Admissions, 1902 May to 1908 January

Series V. School of General Studies, 1910-1982

The School of General Studies traces its beginnings to the nineteenth century when it served part-time students, active teachers, other professionals, and the general public. Originally called University Extension, the school granted Bachelor of Science degrees beginning in 1921. Following World War II and aiming to meet the needs of returning G.I.s, University Extension was restructured and designated the School of General Studies in 1947. The college began awarding Bachelor of Arts degrees in 1968.


Administrative Board of Extension Teaching minutes



Box 7 Folder 12 1905 October to 1909 May


Box 7 Folder 13 1910 October to 1923 April

(Accession 2006.018)


Box 7 Folder 14 1923 October to 1931 April


Box 7 Folder 15 1931 December to 1947 November


Faculty of the School of General Studies minutes, 1952-1982



Volume 72 1952 February to 1965 April



Volume 73 1965 November to 1982 November

Series VI. School of Journalism, 1912-1977

The School of Journalism was established through monies left to Columbia University in the will of Joseph Pulitzer, renowned photojournalist and newspaper magnate, who passed away in 1911. The original agreements regarding the establishment and organization of the school were made in 1903 and 1904, but the school did not actually open until 1912 – a year after Pulitzer died. The School of Journalism began as an undergraduate school offering a B.Litt. Degree to its graduates, but in 1935 the School became the first in the nation to adopt a program exclusively at the graduate level.


Faculty of the School of Journalism minutes, 1931-1977



Volume 74 1931 November to 1952 May, 1931, 1952



Volume 75 1953 January to 1975 May, 1953, 1975



Volume 76 1966 September to 1977 September, 1966, 1977



Box 8 Folder 1 Administrative Board of the School of Journalism minutes, 1912 March to 1931 May



Volume 77 Advisory Board of the School of Journalism minutes, 1912 January to 1950 April

(Includes Advisory Board on the Pulitzer Prize minutes from 1953 April to 1964 April.)



Volume 78 Faculty of the School of Journalism Committee on Instruction minutes, 1916-1929

Series VII. School of Law, 1880-1977

The study of law at Columbia University dates back to its founding in 1754 as King's College in Lower Manhattan. In 1793, James Kent was named the first professor of law at Columbia. The School of Law, as a separate faculty, started in 1858, as one of the first independent law schools in the nation.



Volume 95 1880 November to 1915 October



Volume 96 1916 February to 1934 June



Volume 97 1934 October to 1944 June



Volume 98 1944 October to 1953 May



Volume 79 1953 September to 1956 June



Volume 80 1956 September to 1959 October



Volume 81 1959 November to 1961 June



Volume 82 1961 October to 1963 May



Volume 83 1963-1966



Volume 84 1966-1967



Volume 85 1969-1970



Volume 86 1970-1971



Volume 87 1971-1972



Volume 88 1972-1974



Volume 89 1974-1975



Volume 90 1975-1976



Box 8 Folder 2 1976-1977

Series VIII. Teachers College, 1898-1963

Founded in 1887, Teachers College is first and largest graduate school of education in the United States. The College became affiliated with Columbia University in 1898 as the University's Graduate School of Education.



Volume 101 1898 October-1911 November



Volume 102 1912 January-1933 April

(Faculty of Education and Practical Arts)



Volume 103 1934 April 6-1944 April 13

(Faculty of Education and Practical Arts)



Volume 104 1945 April-1953 April



Volume 105 1953 November-1963 June



Volume 106 1963 October-1966 May

Series IX. Other Faculty Minutes, 1904-1979

This series contains minutes, usually one volume, from a number of different faculties including the School of Architecture, Business, and Library Service.



Box 8 Folder 3 Division of Philosophy, Psychology and Anthropology minutes, 1910 December to 1921 April

(Includes correspondence, 1916-1917.)


Faculty of Architecture


Box 8 Folder 4 Administrative Board of the School of Architecture minutes, 1914 May to 1918 May


Box 8 Folder 5 Administrative Board of the School of Architecture minutes, 1918 October to 1931 May



Volume 91 Faculty of Architecture minutes, 1931 October to 1973 February


Faculty of Business



Volume 108 Minutes of the School of Business Administrative Board Meetings, 1916 February to 1930 May



Box 8 Folder 6 Administrative Board of the School of Business minutes, 1918 January



Volume 107 Minutes of the Staff of the School of Business, 1916-1931

From its first meeting in October 1916 to its dissolution in May 1931.



Box 10 Folder 1 Faculty of Business, 1931 October-1948 June


Box 10 Folder 2 1949 January-1955 May



Volume 92 1951 October to 1962 December



Box 10 Folder 3 1956 May-1960 May


Box 10 Folder 4 1960 December-1962 December



Volume 100 1963 October to 1972 March



Box 10 Folder 5 1968 March-1970 March


Box 10 Folder 6 1970 May-1972 May


Box 10 Folder 7 1972 December-1973 December



Box 11 Folder 1 1974 April-December


Box 11 Folder 2 1975 April-1976 October


Box 11 Folder 3 1977 February-December


Box 11 Folder 4 1991 April-1994 May


Box 11 Folder 5 1994 July-1996 May

(Restricted until 2022)


Box 11 Folder 6 1996 December-1998 May

(Restricted until 2024)



Box 12 Folder 1 1998 August-2001 December

(Restricted until 2026)



Box 8 Folder 7 Faculty of Fine Arts minutes, 1904 November to 1913 December



Volume 99 Faculty of the Arts minutes, 1967-1970

(Includes the Stated Rules of the Faculty of the Arts, adopted 28 April 1967.)


School of International and Public Affairs



Box 8 Folder 8 Committee on the Graduate School of International Affairs, 1931 October

(Re: the will of the late Edwin B. Parker. The School of International Affairs was founded in 1946 its name changed to the School of International and Public Affairs in 1981.)



Volume 93 Faculty of the School of International and Public Affairs minutes, 1961 October to 1978 April



Volume 94 Faculty of the School of Library Service minutes, 1931 December to 1979 April