Columbia University Archives
 

Faculty Meeting Minutes, 1864-2011

Series IV. School of Engineering, 1864-2011

Founded as the School of Mines in 1864, the faculty became the Faculty of Applied Science in 1892, the Faculty of Engineering in January 1929 and the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science in May 1962. The School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS) was renamed the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science in 1997. The early minutes of the Faculty of the School of Mines (Volumes 59 to 64) are handwritten and include information about graduates and doctoral student concentrations in the back of the volumes.

Due to COVID-19 restrictions, only Columbia affiliates may view materials on-site. After clicking 'Submit Request', affiliates will login with their UNI and password. Appointments are required and will be arranged according to each individual repository's policy.



Faculty of the School of Mines minutes, 1864-1892



Volume 59 1864 February to 1870 February



Volume 60 1865 October to 1877 May

(Includes list of graduates (1868 to 1870) and a copy of the School of Mines by-laws.)



Volume 61 1877 September to 1883 June

(Includes list PhD candidates course and subjects in the back of the book.)



Volume 62 1883 October to 1887 April



Volume 63 1887 May to 1890 October



Volume 64 1890 November to 1892 May


Faculty of the School of Applied Sciences minutes, 1892-1928



Box 5 Folder 2 1892 September to 1894 May


Box 5 Folder 3 1894 October to 1896 May



Volume 65 1896 May to 1907 May



Volume 66 1907 October to 1928 December


Faculty of the School of Engineering minutes, 1917-1978

(The Faculty of Applied Science changes names to the Faculty of Engineering in January 1929 and to the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science in May 1962.)



Volume 67 1917 January to 1936 December



Box 5 Folder 4 1937 January to 1939 April


Box 5 Folder 5 1939 October to 1942 April


Box 5 Folder 6 1942 October to 1944 April


Box 5 Folder 7 1944 October to 1947 April


Box 5 Folder 8 1948 February to 1949 May


Box 5 Folder 9 1950 March to 1952 April


Box 5 Folder 10 1953 April to 1956 May


Box 5 Folder 11 1957 April to 1958 April



Box 6 Folder 1 1958 October to 1961 May


Box 6 Folder 2 1962 May to 1965 May


Box 6 Folder 3 1966 March to 1968 May


Box 6 Folder 4 1969 April to 1970 April, 1969, 1970


Box 6 Folder 5 1970 May to 1971 April, 1970, 1971


Box 6 Folder 6 1971 May to 1973 April, 1971, 1973


Box 6 Folder 7 1973 October to 1974 May, 1973, 1974



Box 7 Folder 1 1974 September to 1978 May, 1974, 1978


Faculty of the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science minutes,, 2002-2010

(The School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS) was renamed the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science in 1997.)


Box 7 Folder 2 2002 May 8

(Restricted until 2028)


Box 7 Folder 3 2010 May 5, 2010

(Restricted until 2036)


Faculty of Engineering Committee on Instruction minutes, 1913-2011


Box 7 Folder 4 1913 May to 1920 November



Volume 68 1917 January to 1936 December



Volume 69 1937 January to 1944 August



Volume 70 1944 September to 1950 October



Volume 71 1950 November to 1960 May



Box 7 Folder 5 1960 September to 1962 May


Box 7 Folder 6 1962 September to 1964 November


Box 7 Folder 7 1981 November to 1981 December


Box 7 Folder 8 1984 December


Box 7 Folder 9 2003 May 6

(Restricted until 2029)


Box 7 Folder 10 2008 January 30

(Restricted until 2034)


Box 7 Folder 11 2011 May 10

(Restricted until 2037)



Box 8 Folder 9 Faculty of Applied Science and Architecture Committee on Admissions, 1902 May to 1908 January