Rare Book & Manuscript Library
 

Faculty Meeting Minutes, 1864-2011

Summary Information

At a Glance

Call No.: UA#0005
Bib ID 13873955 View CLIO record
Creator(s) Columbia University. Archives
Title Faculty Meeting Minutes, 1864-2011
Physical Description 24.29 linear feet (106 bound volumes and 9 document boxes)
Language(s) Materials are in English.
Access

All administrative records of the University are restricted for 25 years from the date of creation.

This collection is located on-site.

Arrangement

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in nine series: Series I. University Council, 1890-1968; Series II. Graduate Faculties, 1883-1988; Series III. Columbia College, 1892-1975; Series IV. School of Engineering, 1864-2011; Series V. School of General Studies, 1910-1982; Series VI. School of Journalism, 1912-1977; Series VII. School of Law, 1880-1977; Series VIII. Teachers College, 1898-1966; Series IX. Other Faculty Minutes, 1904-1979.

Description

Summary

This collection contains the recorded minutes from the different faculty meetings: from the representative University Council to the individual schools (Columbia College, Engineering, Journalism, Law, etc.). Faculty meeting minutes include information on admissions, the academic calendar, curricular changes, faculty appointments and leaves, student petitions, fellowships, grants, prizes, and graduation requirements among other topics. Unfortunately, this collection is not complete. Additional minutes can be found in the record collections of the different faculties. For example, there is complete set of the minutes of the Faculty of Columbia College in the Columbia College records. Similarly, the minutes of the Seth Low Junior College and the minutes for the New York School of Social Work can be found in their respective collections.

  • Series I. University Council

    In 1888 the Trustees appointed a special committee to establish a University Council, a body to bring about "a true University organization." Each faculty would elect two or three representatives who, together with the President and the Deans, would constitute the Council. In 1892 the University Council was given definite legislative and administrative powers (not just an advisory role) and continued to serve until 1968, when it was replaced by the University Senate. The Council, working with the President, managed the academic organization and operations of the University, including degree requirements, the academic calendar, the date and order of Commencement exercises. In the back of each volume, there is a name/subject index for each academic year included in the volume. University Senate committee minutes can be found in the University Senate records. Plenary minutes starting from April 28, 1995, are available on their website.

  • Series II. Graduate Faculties

    The Faculty of Political Science was established in 1880 by John W. Burgess. This was the first step in transforming Columbia College into Columbia University in the City of New York. The Faculty of Philosophy came into being in 1890, and the Faculty of Pure Science, in 1892. These faculties required students to have a bachelor's degree for admission; focused on research and the advancement of learning; and offered the highest degree, the Ph.D. Starting in 1909, these faculties shared a Dean. In 1979, the Faculties officially merged as the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

  • Series III. Columbia College

    The Faculty of Columbia College (previously known as the Faculty of the School of the Arts) refers to the faculty teaching undergraduate students. There is another complete set of the minutes of the Faculty of Columbia College in the Columbia College records (UA#0047)

  • Series IV. School of Engineering

    Founded as the School of Mines in 1864, the faculty became the Faculty of Applied Science in 1892, the Faculty of Engineering in January 1929 and the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science in May 1962. The School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS) was renamed the Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science in 1997. The early minutes of the Faculty of the School of Mines (Volumes 59 to 64) are handwritten and include information about graduates and doctoral student concentrations in the back of the volumes.

  • Series V. School of General Studies

    The School of General Studies traces its beginnings to the nineteenth century when it served part-time students, active teachers, other professionals, and the general public. Originally called University Extension, the school granted Bachelor of Science degrees beginning in 1921. Following World War II and aiming to meet the needs of returning G.I.s, University Extension was restructured and designated the School of General Studies in 1947. The college began awarding Bachelor of Arts degrees in 1968.

  • Series VI. School of Journalism

    The School of Journalism was established through monies left to Columbia University in the will of Joseph Pulitzer, renowned photojournalist and newspaper magnate, who passed away in 1911. The original agreements regarding the establishment and organization of the school were made in 1903 and 1904, but the school did not actually open until 1912 – a year after Pulitzer died. The School of Journalism began as an undergraduate school offering a B.Litt. Degree to its graduates, but in 1935 the School became the first in the nation to adopt a program exclusively at the graduate level.

  • Series VII. School of Law

    The study of law at Columbia University dates back to its founding in 1754 as King's College in Lower Manhattan. In 1793, James Kent was named the first professor of law at Columbia. The School of Law, as a separate faculty, started in 1858, as one of the first independent law schools in the nation.

  • Series VIII. Teachers College

    Founded in 1887, Teachers College is first and largest graduate school of education in the United States. The College became affiliated with Columbia University in 1898 as the University's Graduate School of Education.

  • Series IX. Other Faculty Minutes

    This series contains minutes, usually one volume, from a number of different faculties including the School of Architecture, Business, and Library Service.

Using the Collection

Rare Book and Manuscript Library

Restrictions on Access

All administrative records of the University are restricted for 25 years from the date of creation.

This collection is located on-site.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. The RBML maintains ownership of the physical material only. Copyright remains with the creator and his/her heirs. The responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.

Preferred Citation

Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Faculty Meeting Minutes; Box and Folder or Volume Number, University Archives, Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Columbia University Library.

Related Materials

Columbia College records (UA#0047); School of Social Work records (UA#0099); Seth Low Junior College records (UA#0227); and Columbia University Senate records (UA#0054).

Accruals of Records

Additions are expected.

About the Finding Aid / Processing Information

Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library

Processing Information

This collection was processed by Joanna Rios. Finding aid written by Joanna Rios in May 2019.

Revision Description

2019-05-12 File created.

2019-06-11 EAD was imported spring 2019 as part of the ArchivesSpace Phase II migration.

Subject Headings

The subject headings listed below are found in this collection. Links below allow searches at Columbia University through the Archival Collections Portal and through CLIO, the catalog for Columbia University Libraries, as well as ArchiveGRID, a catalog that allows users to search the holdings of multiple research libraries and archives.

All links open new windows.

Genre/Form

Heading "CUL Archives:"
"Portal"
"CUL Collections:"
"CLIO"
"Nat'l / Int'l Archives:"
"ArchivedGRID"
Minute books Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
minutes (administrative records) Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID

Subject

Heading "CUL Archives:"
"Portal"
"CUL Collections:"
"CLIO"
"Nat'l / Int'l Archives:"
"ArchivedGRID"
Columbia College (Columbia University) Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Faculty Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Faculty of Fine Arts Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Faculty of Philosophy Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Faculty of Political Science Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Faculty of Pure Science Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Graduate School of Business Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Graduate School of Journalism Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School Engineering and Applied Sciences Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of General Studies Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of International Affairs Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of International and Public Affairs Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of Law Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of Library Service Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of Mines Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of the Arts Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. Teachers College Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. University Council Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. University Extension Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID

History / Biographical Note

Historical Note

The Faculty Meeting Minutes have been collected by Columbiana curators and University Archives staff over the years. For information about the different faculties, see the series descriptions.