|Rare Book & Manuscript Library|
Table of Contents
Container ListView All
Series I. Secretary's Office
Series II: Division of Economics of History, 1910-1930
Series III: Division of Intercourse and Education
Series IV: Division of International Law
Series VII: Projects
Series VIII. CEIP Library
Series IV: Division of International Law
(150 volumes, 9 boxes)
The Trustees of the Endowment formed the Division of International Law to: (1) to aid in the development of international law and its acceptance among nations; (2) establish a better understanding of international rights and duties and a sense of international justice among the countries throughout the world; and (3) promote a general acceptance of peaceable methods in the settlement of international disputes.
The Division devoted its efforts in three principal areas: facilitating the study and improving the teaching of international law and related subjects; furthering the development of international law and restating its rules in a more unified and systematic way; and improving the documentation of international law through a publication program resulting in the production of some 200 volumes.
The Division helped found and support an Academy of International Law, which opened in 1923 provided financial and administrative support to six conferences of teachers of international law between 1914 and 1941 sponsored a series of eight summer sessions on international law to which it invited teachers from smaller colleges and prospective teachers who expected to begin their academic careers in small colleges; and awarded a series of fellowships in international law for the purpose of increasing the number of qualified scholars in the field.
Soon after its formation, the Division of International Law entered into a cooperative arrangement with the Institut de Droit International. Through this arrangement the Institut created an advisory committee to counsel the Division, and in turn, the Institut for many years received financial assistance from the Endowment to encourage attendance at its sessions and aid in the publication of Annuaires. The Division also helped establish the American Institute of International Law in 1915 cooperated with and supported Harvard Research in International Law; financially assisted other societies of international law including the Grotius Society of London, the Société de Législation Comparée of Paris, the Association Yougoslave de Droit International of Belgrade, the Istituto Italiano di Diritto Internazionale of Rome, and the International Law Association; cooperated with governmental and non-governmental organizations including the Department of State of the U.S, the Neutrality Board of the United States, the Pan American Union, the Advisory Board of Jurists at the Hague, the Inter-American Commission of Jurists created by the International Conferences of American States, and the Permanent Court of International Justice; and lent technical and other specialized assistance to the work of several assemblies and conferences, including the American Commission to Negotiate Peace at Paris (1919), the Washington Conference on the Limitation of Armament (1921-1922), and several of the Pan American Scientific Congresses.
The Division gave financial assistance to several international law books and journals by purchasing copies and distributing them to libraries and other interested institutions. The Division also had its own extensive publication program issuing collections of international documents, reports of tribunals, treatises, pamphlets and monographs on particular topics, and the series the "Classics of International Law," the publication of which the Endowment took over from the Carnegie Institution. (Source: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace: Summary of Organization and Work. Washington DC: CEIP, 1941 pp31-45.)
Series IV. is organized into the following subseries:
B. Classics of International Law
G. Reports and publications
H. Repor on Teaching of International Law