|Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary|
At a Glance
The collection is arranged in one series in original order.
Scope and Contents
This collection contains two copies of a book of 13 photographs of ink paintings, titled 基督教聖蹟圖 (Christian Sacred Pictures). The original paintings were produced by four Chinese artists working in the Art Department of the Catholic University in Beiping, and exhibited in February 1937 at the College of Chinese Studies, California College in China. Although the subjects of the paintings are Christian themes, the artworks are executed in the traditional Chinese style of monochromatic ink painting. The book includes a summary of the circumstances behind the exhibition written by missioary William B. Pettius, and a list of titles for the artworks. The titles are as follows, with artist information based on painting inscriptions: 1. "Annunciation"; 2. "No Room in Bethlehem" by [John] Lu Hongnian 陸鴻年 of Taicang 太倉; 3. "The Madonna of the Bamboo" by Luke Chen 陳路加; 4. "The Madonna of the Pine" by [Luke] Chen Yuandu 陳緣督 of Lingnan 領南; 5. "The Madonna of the Little Children" by Lu Hongnian; 6. "The Flight into Egypt" by Lu Hongnian; 7. "Madonna and Child in Spring" by Lu Hongnian; 8. "The Holy Family in Autumn" by Lu Hongnian; 9. "The Holy Family in Winter" by Lu Hongnian; 10. "The Prodigal Son" by Luke Chen Yuandu; 11. "The Good Samaritan"; 12. "The Last Supper"; 13. "Phillip and the Ethiopian Ruler" by Xu Jihua 徐濟華. (Lu Hongnian, 1919 - 1989, was a well-known Chinese artist and scholar of art. Chen Yuandu, 1902 - 1967, was a prolific artist who showed pieces internationally. Xu Jihua was the eldest daughter of Xu Xiangsun 徐翔荪, the wealthy head of the Shanghai-based Huamei Pharmacy 華美藥房.)
Burke Library record group:
Missionary Research Library Archives: MRL6, China
Using the Collection
Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Information concerning copyright, fair use, and reproduction requests can be consulted at Columbia's Copyright Advisory Office.
Item description, MRL 6: Catholic University of Beiping Art Department papers, 1937, box #, folder #, The Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary, Columbia University in the City of New York.
A copy of this book exists in the Graduate Theological Union Library, Berkeley, CA.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary
Materials were placed in new acid-free folders and a box. The finding aid was created by Gregory Adam Scott in 2010, updated by Brigette Kamsler in 2014-2015 as part of the Henry Luce Foundation grant, and edited by Leah Edelman in 2020.
2014-04-15 XML instance created by Cecile Queffelec.
2019-05-20 EAD was imported spring 2019 as part of the ArchivesSpace Phase II migration.
2020-04-28 EAD spot checked and corrected and description updated by Leah Edelman
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
In 1913 the Furen Academy 輔仁社 was established in Beijing 北京 by two Chinese Catholic scholars, and it operated as a private Catholic academy until 1918. Its successor, the Catholic University of Beijing 北京公教大學附屬輔仁社, was founded in 1925. Two years later the school changed its Chinese name to 私立北京輔仁大學, and again in 1928 when the former capital city Beijing was renamed Beiping 北平. In 1933, the administration of the school was transferred from an American Benedictine order, whose financial backing had suffered during the Great Depression, to the German Society for the Divine Word. In 1950, under the new People's Republic, the school was renamed Furen National University 國立輔仁大學. It remained open until 1952, when anti-Catholic pressure forced its integration into Beijing Normal University. In 1960, Furen Catholic University 私立輔仁大學 was reestablished in Taipei County, Taiwan, where it continues to operate today.
The California College in China was first founded as the North China Union Language School in Beijing in 1910. The college was formally incorporated in 1930 by the missionary William B. Pettius for the purpose of educating Americans in Chinese history, language, and culture. In 1942, with the disruption of the war and Japanese forces occupying Beiping, the campus was moved to the grounds of the University of California at Berkeley.