|Rare Book & Manuscript Library|
Table of Contents
Container ListView All
At a Glance
Selected materials cataloged; remainder listed.
Scope and Contents
A collection of letters addressed to Russell Potter, Director of the Institute of Arts & Sciences, relating to speaking engagerents and conferences. The correspondence, dated 1930-1945, includes letters from Gertrude Stein, Robert Frost, Edna Ferber, Al Smith, Henry Wallace, Anthony Eden, and Harold Laski. Some of the letters are of a personal nature.
There are also over 130 sketches by Lucie Ruth Kraft (1891- ) of lecturers as they appeared at the Institute. Many of these sketches were autographed by the subjects. Also included are a copy of "the Handbook" copies of "The Institute Program" 1934-1940 and a Playbill for a production of works by Cornelia Otis Skinner. The typescript notes of Walter H. McKay for the 22nd session are also included in the collection.
Using the Collection
Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is located on-site.
The original copy of the Pearl Buck sketch is missing; it appears that the item was not properly refiled after microfilming in 1991. The item is available on microfilm.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. The RBML maintains ownership of the physical material only. Copyright remains with the creator and his/her heirs. The responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.
Alternate Form Available
Item related to Pearl S. Buck is available on microfilm. See MN# 91-2094-2.
Ownership and Custodial History
Gift of the Institute, 1945.
Gift of Emma S. Stecher, 1982.
Transfered from Columbiana, 1986.
Gift of Beulah B. McKay, 1990.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Entered in AMC HR rev 2/82 08/29/90.
Entered in AMC 08/29/90.
Eneted in AMC 08/29/90.
2020-10-06 EAD document created by CCR, and note on Pearl Buck item was added to this document.
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
The Institute was the non-academic division of the University Extension at Columbia University from 1913 to 1957, and its scope included single lectures and short series of lectures on general subjects. The Institute was established to provide evening education for adults wishing to keep abreast of current thought among the arts.