|Avery Drawings & Archives Collections|
At a Glance
Scope and content
Correspondence, specifications, contracts, invoices, financial statements, memoranda, and architectural drawings pertaining to the construction of St. Paul's Chapel (Columbia University, New York, N.Y.), a project designed by Howells & Stokes, and by Stokes independently. Correspondence is between Howells & Stokes and Columbia University officials, contractors, and suppliers, including Nicholas Murray Butler, R. Guastavino Co., Tiffany Studios, Coppède, Paul Manship, and McKim, Mead & White, as well as Stokes' aunts Olivia Egleston Phelps Stokes and Caroline Phelps Stokes.
This is the host record for which 1 separate RLIN VIM record was created. The RLIN VIM ID number is NYDA97-F5, and the accession numbers are 1000.039.00001 through.00011
Using the Collection
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email email@example.com.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Permission to publish materials must be obtained in writing from the director of Avery Library.
Howells & Stokes architectural records and drawings. Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.
Howells & Stokes architectural records and drawings, Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Transferred from the Office of the President, Columbia University, 1000/030 (circa 1970); and transfer from Columbia University Dept. of Facilities, 1995.012.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
correspondence, architectural drawings accessioned, described 04/21/1997.
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
Architectural firm in New York, N.Y. formed by the partnership of Isaac Newton Phelps Stokes (1867-1944) and John Mead Howells (1868-1959). The firm dissolved in 1917.