Columbia University Archives
 

School of Mines and School of Engineering and Applied Sciences records, 1863-2007

Series IV: Building and Grounds, 1881-1961

Fundraising materials and design publications; invitations to and programs for announcement and preview dinners; press releases; news articles and clippings; maps; copies of photographs and artist's building conceptions; reports; and newsletters all concerning the new Engineering Center comprise the bulk of the series. Original photographs, which include President Dwight D. Eisenhower, then-president of Columbia University, and Dean James Kip Finch, are located in the Subject Photo files. Also included in this series are 49th Street building analysis correspondence; announcements and fundraising correspondence related to the move to Morningside Heights; and two photograph-and-blueprint books of proposed new laboratories building for the School of Engineering at 134th Street and Riverside Drive.

External users and Columbia affiliates may view materials on-site at RBML. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, only Columbia affiliates may view materials on-site at Avery, Starr, and Burke. After clicking 'Submit Request', users will login with their UNI and password (Columbia affiliates) or their special collections account (external users). Appointments are required and will be arranged according to each individual repository's policy.



Engineering Center



Box 7 Folder 11 General, 1949-1952, 1959, 1961, 1949-1952, 1959, 1961


Box 7 Folder 12 Announcement Dinner, 1951



Box 8 Folder 1 "Engineering Education and the Business Dollar," circa, 1951


Box 8 Folder 2 Fundraising Materials, 1950-1951


Box 8 Folder 3 Department Design Booklets, circa, 1950


Box 8 Folder 4 "The Heat and Mass Flow Analyzer," circa, 1950s


Box 8 Folder 5 "The New Engineering Center,", 1950


Box 8 Folder 6 Preview Dinner, 1951


Box 8 Folder 7 "Report of the Council for the School of Engineering,", 1956


Box 8 Folder 8 49th Street Building--Analysis, 1881


Box 8 Folder 9 Move to Morningside, 1891-1896


Box 8 Folder 10 "Proposed New Laboratories," circa, 1940s-1950s