|Avery Drawings & Archives Collections|
At a Glance
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of photographs for twenty buildings and models of five unrealized or partially realized project. Projects include markets, churches, factories, garages, a bus station, a bridge, a stadium, an airplane hangar, and an apartment building. The photographs are black and white and mounted to card stock. Each print includes a typed caption, which identifies and dates the project. The photographs are housed together in a clamshell box engraved with the title "La Arquitectura de Jose L. Depini." It is possible the photographs were use as a presentation album.
Using the Collection
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email email@example.com.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased in 2018 from Graph Books (2018.007).
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
José Luis Delpini (1897-1964) was an Argentinian architect and engineer.
Delpini is best known for designing, in collaboration with architect Viktor Sulčič and surveyor Raul Bes, the Mercado Abasto (1934) and La Bombonera stadium (1940). Their studio was named Delpini-Sulčič-Bes. The partnership dissolved in 1953, after which Delpini independently designed a number of more imaginative projects represented in this collection, including "Proyecto de Estadio Racional" and "Proyecto de Hangar de 200 m. de Luz Libre."
Delpini was a professor of engineering at the University of Buenos Aires, where he also founded the Laboratory of Structural Research. He became the first Chair of Structural Composition just before his death in 1964.