|Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary|
Table of Contents
Using the Collection
Note: some material may be restricted or offsite
Container ListView All
At a Glance
This collection is organized in one series arranged by format.
Scope and Contents
This collection contains correspondence, financial records, founding documents, minutes, reports, and other resource material relating to the Eastern Fellowship of Professors of Missions, established to promote fellowship, spiritual life, and professional usefulness of members. Some records reference specific missionaries, including Robert Ernest Hume, Charles Fahs, and Daniel Fleming.
Burke Library record group:
Missionary Research Library Archives: MRL12, Ecumenical/World Mission
Using the Collection
Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
The following boxes are located offsite: Box 1. Please note that requests for use of boxes held in offsite storage must be made three business days in advance.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Information concerning copyright, fair use, and reproduction requests can be consulted at Columbia's Copyright Advisory Office.
Item description, MRL12: Eastern Fellowship of Professors of Missions records, 1932-1965, box #, folder #, The Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary, Columbia University in the City of New York.
Records of the Fellowship of Professors of Missions, HR1195. Yale University Divinity Special Collections.
Records of the Association of Professors of Missions, HR1073. Yale University Divinity Special Collections.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Formerly part of the independent Missionary Research Library (MRL), these records were accessioned by the Burke Library at the time of the MRL's closure in 1976.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary
Metal clips and staples were removed from some deteriorated materials and folded items were flattened. Materials were placed in new acid-free folders and boxes. The finding aid was created by Brigette Kamsler in 2012 with the support of the Henry Luce Foundation, and edited by Leah Edelman in 2021.
2021-08-10 PDF converted to EAD and description updated by Leah Edelman.
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
The Teachers of Missions Group was established to promote the fellowship, spiritual life, and professional usefulness of its members through papers, discussion, prayer, and social intercourse. Membership consisted of people in New England and the Mid-Atlantic area. The earliest records in this collection, recorded by secretary Henry Winters Luce, date from 1932; however, the group began to meet informally in 1917. Early discussions included those on the Laymen's Foreign Missions Inquiry; interacting with the International Missionary Council; and the discussion of training missionaries. The constitution was officially adopted in April 1940 and stated the name of the group as "The Fellowship of Professors of Missions." Regular meetings were held twice per year with annual dues set at fifty cents. By 1954, the updated constitution changed the name to "The Association of Professors of Missions." Membership was opened to professors of missions in the member institutions of the American Association of Theological Schools and by invitation. The meetings were also changed to once every two years. In 1964, the name again changed to "The Eastern Fellowship of Professors of Missions" to show its region, as the group was a faction of the national Association of Professors of Missions. The national group became closely allied with the American Association of Missiology beginning in 1972.