|Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary|
At a Glance
This collection is arranged in one chronological series.
Scope and Contents
This collection contains one 46 page bound manuscript handwritten in English by an unknown author, describing the activities of the Netherlands Missionary Society (Nederlands Zendeling Genootschap) by geographic region and sub-regions (including Indonesian Archipelago: Amboina, Timor, Ceram, Banda, Celebe, Boono, Java; Hindustan: Palliacatta, Sadras, Chinfurab; South Africa; and Suriname) and covering the period of 1823-1825. This series also contains an index and supplementary material of the Old Missionary Archives of the Board of Foreign Missions of the Netherlands Reformed Church (Raad voor de Zending der Nederlandse Hervormde Kerk). The index was compiled in Dutch by Rev. F. Slump in 1963 in an effort to publicize the materials held within the organization's archives. The index alphabetically lists materials found in the records of Dutch missionary corporations from 1797-1927, the papers of Professor Hendrik Kraemer, 1921-1947, and the records of women's missionary work from 1928-1958. The supplemental material is written in Dutch and includes a list of corrections to the original index and indexes to the papers of influential missionaries: Hendrik Kraemer, Dr. Albert C. Kruyt, Rev. J. Kruyt and Rev. I. J. Kijne. Additional material includes correspondence written in English between the Board of the Foreign Missions of the Netherlands Reformed Church and the Missionary Research Library/
Burke Library record group:
Missionary Research Library Archives: MRL12, Ecumenical/World Mission
Using the Collection
Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Information concerning copyright, fair use, and reproduction requests can be consulted at Columbia's Copyright Advisory Office.
Item description, MRL 12: Board of Foreign Missions of the Netherlands Reformed Church records, 1825; 1963-1971, series #, box #, folder #, The Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary, Columbia University in the City of New York.
WAB: Hendrik Kraemer papers, 1954, The Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary, Columbia University in the City of New York.
Records of the Nederlandsch Zendeling Genootschap, 1805-1920. HR1345. Special Collections, Yale Divinity School Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Formerly part of the independent Missionary Research Library (MRL), these records were accessioned by the Burke Library at the time of the MRL's closure in 1976.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary
Metal clips and staples were removed from materials and folded items were flattened. Materials were placed in new acid-free folders and boxes. Due to an advanced state of deterioration, the Netherlands Missionary Society manuscript was placed in a custom-made acid-free folder. This item was originally an independent collection entitled MRL 12: Netherlands Missionary Society Papers, 1825. The original finding aid was created in September 2008 by Arunabh Ghosh. In July 2013, the material was brought together into a single collection with an updated finding aid, created by Virginia Pastor in 2013 with the support of the Henry Luce Foundation, and edited by Leah Edelman in 2022.
2022-01-28 PDF converted to EAD and description updated by Leah Edelman.
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
The Netherlands Missionary Society (Nederlands Zendeling Genootschap or N. Z. G.) was founded in 1797 as an ecumenical mission board, though its membership largely came from the Dutch Reformed Church. Influenced by the London Missionary Society, the N. Z. G. was largely centralized among the Dutch colonies, particularly in the area of the Indonesian Archipelago. Initial activities saw missionaries working with pre-existing Christian communities, which were eventually organized into the Protestant Church of the Dutch Indies. By 1848, the N. Z. G. began working with Muslim communities in Indonesia. Faced with a growing resentment of colonialism, Dutch missionaries in the early twentieth century began to place new value on the cultures of local populations. In contrast with Dutch missionaries of the nineteenth century, who encouraged converts to emulate Western customs and practices, missionaries such as Albert C. Kruyt worked to preserve indigenous cultures for study, eliminating only the practices that were considered pagan and encouraging worship in the vernacular language. Between 1847 and 1859, several other Dutch missionary societies were formed, and beginning at the start of the twentieth century, these societies worked closely together. In 1951, the Dutch missionary societies, which included the N.Z.G., the Dutch Mission Union (Nederlandsche Zendingsvereeniging), and the Utrecht Mission Union (Utrechtsche Zendingsvereeniging), merged to form the Board of Foreign Missions of the Netherlands Reformed Church (Raad voor de Zending Nederlandse Hervormde Kerk). The Board of Foreign Missions dissolved in 1999.