|Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary|
At a Glance
This collection is arranged in one series in original order.
Scope and Contents
This collection contains a handwritten manuscript of Vincent's translation of the play "Philoctetes," by Sophocles. The manuscript is written on 100 sheets of loose paper, numbered by the author, and contains a handwritten dedication to Charles Prospero Fagnani.
Burke Library record group:
Union Theological Seminary Archives: UTS 1, papers of faculty and students
Using the Collection
Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Information concerning copyright, fair use, and reproduction requests can be consulted at Columbia's Copyright Advisory Office.
Item Description, UTS1: Marvin Richardson Vincent papers, 1912, box #, folder #, The Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary, Columbia University in the City of New York.
The Marvin Richardson Vincent papers are part of the Union Theological Seminary Archives, which comprises institutional and administrative records of the Seminary, combined with the papers of many organizations, scholars, pastors, laypersons, and others connected with the school. These papers were partially processed in 2014.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary
Manuscript was cataloged by Lynn A. Grove on 1988-07-15. The Richardson papers were among a large group of papers that were organized in 2016-2018 with the support of the Henry Luce Foundation and the E. Rhodes and Leona B. Carpenter Foundation; materials were placed in new acid-free folders and boxes. The finding aid was created by Kevin Windhauser and Rebecca Nieto in 2018 and edited by Leah Edelman in 2020.
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
Marvin Richardson Vincent was born in Poughkeepsie, New York on September 11th, 1834 to Leonard and Nancy Vincent. Both his father and grandfather were clergy in the Methodist Episcopal Church. He graduated from Columbia College in 1854, and assumed a teaching post immediately thereafter at Columbia Grammar School in New York City, teaching Classics there until 1858. After leaving this post, Vincent took up a professorship at Troy Methodist University from 1858-1862, teaching Latin and Classics.
Outside his formal training in classics, Vincent studied theology privately, and entered the ministry of the Methodist Church in 1860. In 1862 he took up his first pastoral position as acting pastor at Pacific St. Methodist Episcopal Church in Brooklyn, NY. After a year in this position, Vincent was officially ordained and became pastor at First Presbyterian Church in Troy, NY in 1863, remaining there for a decade, until in 1873 he became pastor at the Church of the Covenant in Murray Hill, New York City, replacing UTS Professor George Lewis Prentiss, and holding this position until 1887. In 1887, Vincent's dual vocations of theology and higher education joined in his becoming Baldwin Professor of Sacred Literature at Union Theological Seminary, a position he held from 1887-1916, serving then as professor emeritus from 1916-22. Vincent passed away in Forest Hills, NY, on August 18th, 1922.
Vincent's achievements as a scholar were prolific. With his colleague Charlton Lewis, he translated Johann Albrecht Bengel's Gnomon of the New Testament into English, opening that influential Biblical commentary to an English audience for the first time. Additionally, he produced a host of sermons and guidebooks for ministers and practical theologians, including Amusement: A Force in Christian Training and The Minister's Handbook. Later in his academic career, Vincent turned his attention to textual criticism, writing The Monster the Higher Critic, a defense of textual criticism as an approach to understand scripture, and A History of the Textual Criticism of the New Testament, a large-scale survey of the field.