|Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary|
At a Glance
This collection is arranged in one series in original order.
Scope and Contents
This collection contains a single manuscript entitled "The Christianity of Ignatius." Though the manuscript is undated and is without commentary or marginalia, the title page bears the inscribed signature, "G.H. Ferris, A.M." The manuscript is 225 pages long.
Burke Library record group:
Union Theological Seminary Archives: UTS 1, papers of faculty and students
Using the Collection
Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
The following boxes are located offsite: Box 1. Please note that requests for use of boxes held in offsite storage must be made three business days in advance.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Information concerning copyright, fair use, and reproduction requests can be consulted at Columbia's Copyright Advisory Office.
UTS1: George Hooper Ferris Manuscript, c. 1896, series #, box #, The Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary, Columbia University in the City of New York.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The exact provenance of this collection is unknown.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary
The manuscript was cataloged by Lynn A. Grove 1988-07-11. Materials were rehoused in an archival document box. The finding aid was created by Rebecca Nieto in 2018 with the support of the Henry Luce Foundation and the E. Rhodes and Leona B. Carpenter Foundation, and edited by Leah Edelman in 2020.
2020-07-21 PDF converted to EAD and description updated by Leah Edelman.
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
George Hooper Ferris was born in Lamartine, Wisconsin, in 1867. He graduated from Brown University in 1891 and attended Union Theological Seminary from 1893 to 1896. He was ordained by the Hudson River Baptist Association in April 1896. He served as a pastor in Tarryton, New York from 1896 to 1899, later residing (also as pastor), in New Haven (1899- 1905) and Philadelphia (1905-1917). He died in Wisconsin in 1917.