|Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary|
At a Glance
This collection is organized in one series arranged by format.
Scope and Contents
This collection contains annotated notebooks on New Testament research, book reviews and galleys, and correspondence related to the Episcopal Theological School and Albion College.
Burke Library record group:
Union Theological Seminary Archives: UTS 1, papers of faculty and students
Using the Collection
Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Information concerning copyright, fair use, and reproduction requests can be consulted at Columbia's Copyright Advisory Office.
Item description, UTS1: Frederick Clifton Grant papers, circa 1894-1976, box #, folder #, The Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary, Columbia University in the City of New York.
These papers were among a large group of unprocessed materials that were organized in 2016-2017 with the support of the Henry Luce Foundation and the E. Rhodes and Leona B. Carpenter Foundation.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Frederick Clifton Grant papers were donated to Union Theological Seminary from the Graduate Theological Union Archives in 2001.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Burke Library at Union Theological Seminary
Metal clips and staples were removed from materials and folded items were flattened. Materials were placed in new acid-free folders and boxes. Acidic items were separated from one another by interleaving with acid-free paper as needed. The finding aid was created by Rebecca Nieto in 2017 with the support of the Henry Luce Foundation and the E. Rhodes and Leona B. Carpenter Foundation, and edited by Leah Edelman in 2021.
2021-11-05 PDF converted to EAD and description updated by Leah Edelman.
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
Frederick Clifton Grant was a theologian, New Testament scholar and priest in the Episcopal Church. He was born in Beloit, Wisconsin on February 2, 1891. He began his undergraduate studies at Lawrence College in 1909, and went on to earn his B.D. from General Theological Seminary from 1911 to 1912. He was ordained in the Protestant Episcopal Church on June 6, 1912, though this exact date varies from Union's alumni records and Reverend Grant's profile from the Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society of the Episcopal Church. He pursued postgraduate studies in theology at Western Theological Seminary in Chicago from 1914 to 1922, earning his S.T.M. (Sacrae Theologiae Magister) in 1916 and a doctorate in Theology in 1922. Reverend Grant's service to the Episcopal Church took place chiefly in the Midwest, and covered a wide range of leadership roles in parishes of varying sizes. His first post-ordination position was as a curate with St. Mark's Cathedral in Grand Rapids, Michigan from 1912 to 1913. He was priest-in-charge at St. Paul's Church in DeKalb, Illinois from 1913 to 1915, and worked as an assistant at St. Luke's Church in Evanston from 1917 to 1920. Grant also served as a rector at both St. Luke's Church in Dixon, Illinois (1915-1917) and Chicago's Trinity Church from 1920 to 1924. Much of Grant's career outside of his parishes took place in academia, both as a professor and administrator. From 1924 to 1926, Reverend Grant was dean at Bexley Hall (a seminary established in conjunction with Kenyon College) in Ohio from 1924 to 1926 before accepting a professorship in systematic theology at Berkeley Divinity School in Middletown, Connecticut from 1926 to 1927. Grant became president of Seabury-Western Theological Seminary in Evanston, a post he held from 1927 to 1938, and which saw him leading the merger between Western Seminary and Seabury in 1933. Grant's final and significant work in academia would be at Union, where he accepted the Edward Robinson Professor of Biblical Theology at Union Theological Seminary, which he would hold from 1938 until his retirement in 1959.
Grant was a prolific writer, chiefly on issues relevant to Anglican New Testament scholarship. He was an avid translator, notably of Rudolf Bultmann's and Johannes Weiss's texts on criticism and early Christianity, and serving on the translation committee for the Revised Standard Version of the New Testament. He also served as editor-in-chief of the Anglican Theological Review from 1924 to 1955. Grant's 1957 book, The Gospels: Their Origin and Their Growth, engages the synoptic problem -- or the study of the written narrative of literary interpretations and the interrelatedness of the narratives in the Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke – to think through mythical and the manifestation of literary traditions consistent across all three narratives. Grant proved to be invested in historical-critical methods of interpreting Biblical texts, and his extensive translating work and scholarship show his significance in popularizing these ideas to the United States. Grant wrote thirty one books, including The Early Days of Christianity, An Introduction to New Testament Thought, How to Read the Bible, The Life and Times of Jesus, The Practice of Religion, and Translating The Bible. Reverend Grant received doctorate degrees from a number of institutions: Nashotah House at Garrett Biblical Institute (1938); Kenyon College (1939); Bishops University (1948); General Theological Seminary (1952), University of Chicago (1953), and Princeton University (1958). Reverend Grant died on July 11, 1974 in New York City.