|Title:||Women's Graduate Club of Columbia University Collection, 1898-1956|
|Physical description:||1.5 linear ft. (1 record carton; 2 3x5 card file boxes).|
This collection is arranged in one series, alphabetically by folder title. The material within all folders is arranged in chronological order
The collection consists of correspondence, financial records, meeting minutes, succeeding versions of the constitution, a history of the club, membership lists and cards, and various membership, financial, and annual reports relating to the Women's Graduate Club of Columbia University.
Of particular interest in the collection is the History of the Women's Graduate Club of Columbia University, 1895-1925, written by Anna Campbell in 1927. In addition, a handwritten list of presidents of the Club from 1897 through 1942 is housed in the folder Officer and Board Lists.
The President's Reports, Treasurer's Reports and Minutes are not complete, but contain most of the years of the club's existence. The President's Reports are missing for the years 1906/07-1907/08, 1910/11-1916/17, 1918/19-1919/20, 1921-1922, and 1923-1924. Some duplicate reports can be found in the minutes. The Treasurer's Reports are missing for the years 1923/24, 1924/25, 1929-1939. The minutes for the Club are nearly complete from 1898 through 1955, with a few exceptions. Executive board meeting minutes and open meeting minutes were arranged together chronologically.
Boxes two and three consist of membership cards arranged alphabetically within each year from 1941 through 1955. For membership enrollment figures, please see the Reports folder, which also contains reports by the Stocking Committee, Committee on Revision of the Constitution, and Special Committee on Bylaws. Also included is an undated unidentified speech regarding an outgoing president of the club.
The folder labeled Plaque contains a silver plaque, subject unknown, with the inscription: "Presented to the Women's Graduate Club of Columbia University by Miss Grace Dodge 1908."
In addition to the records of the Women's Graduate Club, there are two folders with minutes and correspondence regarding other University committees on women. The first is the University Committee for Graduate Women (originally the University Committee for Women Graduate Students). This material includes a letter from President Nicholas Murray Butler requesting establishment of the committee. The bulk of the material consists of minutes of meetings relating to women graduate students at Columbia University from 1914 through 1921. The Advisory Committee on Women's Residence Halls, established by the University Committee for Graduate Women, is also documented in this collection from 1925 through 1928. The records contain minutes, correspondence, and reports. All material has been retained in one folder as originally found. The minutes, correspondence, and reports are arranged together chronologically. In addition to material on the Advisory Committee on Women's Residence Halls, the folder contains some minutes and reports of the Council of the Johnson Hall Association, the women's residence hall.
The records of the Women's Graduate Club provide insight into one of the earliest formal women's organizations at the University.
Other Finding Aids:
Historical Subject Files, 1870s-2012. [Bulk Dates: 1968-1972] (UA#0002)
Women’s Graduate Club of Columbia University Portrait Collection, c. 1920-1930s (UA#0114)
This collection is located off-site. You will need to request this material at least forty-eight (48) hours in advance to use the collection in the University Archives reading room.
There are no restrictions on this collection.
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish material from the collection must be requested from the University Archivist, Rare Book and Manuscript Library (RBML). The RBML approves permission to publish that which it physically owns; the responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Women's Graduate Club of Columbia University Collection; Box and Folder; University Archives, Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Columbia University Library.
Columbia University Archives; machine readable finding aid created by Columbia University Libraries Digital Library Program Division
Papers processed by 2002 Abby Lester.
Finding aid written by Abby Lester in June 2002.
Finding aid reformatted by Elizabeth Nolte (GSAS 2009) and Jocelyn Wilk in October 2008.
Finding aid further edits made by Jocelyn Wilk in August 2012.
Machine readable finding aid generated from MARC-AMC source via XSLT conversion August 10, 2012Finding aid written in English.
|Nat'l / Int'l Archives:|
|Nat'l / Int'l Archives:|
|Columbia University--Graduate students.||Portal||CLIO||ArchiveGRID|
|Women in education--New York (State).||Portal||CLIO||ArchiveGRID|
The Women's Graduate Club grew out of the 1895 Barnard Graduate Club, according to Anna Campbell in History of the Women's Graduate Club of Columbia University, 1895-1925. The Club was known as "Woman's Graduate Club" in 1897, later changing its name to the "Women's Graduate Club." No information is available about the Club's demise.