|Rare Book & Manuscript Library|
Table of Contents
Using the Collection
Note: some material may be restricted or offsite
Container ListView All
At a Glance
This collection is arranged by topic in chronological order. Contracts and Permits comprise the bulk of the materials and are arranged by college, then outside organizations.
This collection consists of the records of the Superintendent of the Buildings and Grounds, from the last days of the 49th Street and Madison Avenue campus to the move and growth of the Morningside campus. The collection contains contracts, permits, and receipts between the Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds and vendors, suppliers, service providers, insurance agencies, and city and state agencies.
Using the Collection
Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Restrictions on Access
All administrative records of the University are restricted for 25 years from the date of creation.
This collection is located off-site. You will need to request this material at least three business days in advance to use the collection in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library reading room.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. The RBML maintains ownership of the physical material only. Copyright remains with the creator and his/her heirs. The responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Office of the Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds records; Box and Folder; University Archives, Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Columbia University Libraries.
For additional information about the buildings at the different Columbia campuses, please consult the Buildings and grounds collection (UA#0125). For the correspondence of the Office of the President and Central Administration with the Office of the Superintendent, please consult Central Files (UA#0001). For large-format items, please consult the Flat Files Collection (UA#0180), which includes oversize lithographs, prints, architectural drawings, renderings, studies, maps, graphs, floor plans, watercolors, newsprint, illustrations, flyers, posters, and set designs.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
This collection was processed by Jennifer Ulrich in May 2005.
2020-07-15 Word finding aid encoded. (JR)
History / Biographical Note
During the early history of the College, different employees were responsible for the maintenance of the various buildings and grounds, such as the College Janitor. A more permanent, single position was established by resolution of the Trustees on June 2, 1884, and amended June 7, 1886. The Columbia University campus was located at Madison Avenue and 49th Street until 1896, when it moved to Morningside Heights at Broadway and 116th Street. The duties of this position included the leasing and maintenance of the College properties and supervision of its staff.
The first person to fill the position was Holbrook F. J. Porter, hired in 1886 and employed until 1890. Subsequent superintendents include: Edward Albert Darling (1890-1899), Frederick Arthur Goetze (1899-1907), Henry Lee Norris (1907-1925), and David M. Updike (1925-1933). With the reappointment of Henry Lee Norris in 1933, the position changed to Director of Buildings and Grounds. After further growth and organizational changes at the University, a new position, Vice President for Facilities Management, was created in 1978 and filled the following year by Robert M. Broberg.