|Columbia University Archives|
At a Glance
This collection consists of the records of both the Men's and the Women's Faculty Clubs at Columbia University. The records include minutes, correspondence and other administrative files kept by former Club officers.
Using the Collection
Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection has no restrictions.
This collection is located off-site. You will need to request this material at least three business days in advance to use the collection in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library reading room.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. The RBML maintains ownership of the physical material only. Copyright remains with the creator and his/her heirs. The responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Faculty Club records; box and folder number; University Archives, Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Columbia University Libraries.
Additional materials can be found in the Historical Subject Files (UA#0002).
No additions are expected.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Collection-level record describing unprocessed material made public in summer 2018 as part of the Hidden Collections initiative. Collection was processed by Joanna Rios, August 2021.
History / Biographical Note
In 1905, an old building from the Bloomingdale Asylum, South Hall, was refitted to serve as a faculty clubhouse or the first Men's Faculty Club. The Club was open to all officers of administration and instruction in the University and held its first meeting in January 1906. The Club had dining rooms, a reading room, a smoking room and, upstairs, bedrooms which were occupied on occasion by members or guests of the University. The original Faculty Club stood at the northeast corner of Broadway and 116th Street until it was razed in 1922 to make room for the original home of the School of Business, Dodge Hall. A new clubhouse was erected in 1923 known as Faculty House, situated at Morningside Drive and 117th Street. Faculty House had private offices, billiards rooms, dining rooms, a cocktail lounge, and a separate reception room for women guests. There was a library on the second floor with chess and card tables and a collection of books and magazines for the leisure hours of its members. Members could also use the club to host events such as weddings, dances, and parties.
The Women's Faculty Club first met in 1913. All women on the teaching staffs of Barnard College, Teachers College, Horace Mann and Speyer Schools, and those holding certain administrative positions were eligible for membership. The object of the club was "to promote good fellowship, a community of interests, and a closer co-operation among the women of the University and its allied institutions." The new Club originally met in an apartment on Morningside Drive, generously placed at its disposal by Mrs. Helen Hartley Jenkins, of the Board of Trustees of Teachers College. Its first elected President was Professor Adelaide Nutting of Teachers College and its First Vice-President was Dean Virginia Gildersleeve of Barnard College. In 1925, the Women's Faculty Club was given a permanent home on campus in rooms on the first and second floors of the new Johnson Hall, the women's residence hall now known as Wien Hall. An enclosed passage connected it with the Men's Faculty House.
Due to economic difficulties, the two previously independent and member-funded clubs, the Men's and Women's Faculty Clubs, merged in 1972. The joint club was renamed the Faculty House Association. By 1973, the University assumed complete responsibility for the operation of Faculty House.