Columbia University Archives
 

School of Engineering alumni association records, 1875-1977

Summary Information

At a Glance

Call No.: UA#0093
Bib ID 5802663 View CLIO record
Creator(s) Columbia University. Alumni Association of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Title School of Engineering alumni association records, 1875-1977
Physical Description 21 linear feet (21 record cartons)
Language(s) English .
Access

Except for Boxes 1-2, the materials in this collection are unprocessed. Please contact rbml@columbia.edu for more information.

There are no restrictions on this collection.

This collection is located off-site. You will need to request this material at least three business days in advance to use the collection in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library reading room.

Arrangement

Description

Summary

This collection consists of the minutes, correspondence and financial records of the School of Mines and the School of Engineering Alumni Associations. It also includes T. H. Harrington's correspondence files.

  • Series I: Alumni association records, 1877-1964

    This series consists of materials of the Alumni Association of the School of Mines. Annual alumni list booklets, drafts of alumni news articles, fundraising materials and reports for the Engineering Fund, and correspondence regarding a civil engineering badge are included in this series. Also found within are the Association's governance documents: its constitution and bylaws as well as a certified Photostat copy of the Alumni Association of the School of Mines certificate of incorporation. Alumni events materials in this series represent annual dinners and meetings. The bulk of this series concerns the Committee of Ten of the Alumni Association of the School of Mines. Correspondence between committee members, faculty, and alumni, committee meetings minutes, research into the School's curriculum, subcommittee reports on departments of the School, and the committee's final report to the Alumni Association and the Trustees of Columbia College form the Committee of Ten's records.

Using the Collection

Rare Book and Manuscript Library

Restrictions on Access

Except for Boxes 1-2, the materials in this collection are unprocessed. Please contact rbml@columbia.edu for more information.

There are no restrictions on this collection.

This collection is located off-site. You will need to request this material at least three business days in advance to use the collection in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library reading room.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. The RBML maintains ownership of the physical material only. Copyright remains with the creator and his/her heirs. The responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

1997.0003, 2002.012.

About the Finding Aid / Processing Information

Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library

Processing Information

Collection-level record describing unprocessed material made public in summer 2018 as part of the Hidden Collections initiative. Box 1 materials were processed by Brandi Tambasco, Queens College, April 2010. Box 2 materials were processed by Joanna Rios, September 2021.

Revision Description

2021-08-16 Added the School of Mines Alumni Association records. (JR)

2021-08-18 Added processed Series I, formerly part of the School of Mines records. (JR)

2021-09-01 Added processed Box 2, formerly part of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences records. (JR)

Subject Headings

The subject headings listed below are found in this collection. Links below allow searches at Columbia University through the Archival Collections Portal and through CLIO, the catalog for Columbia University Libraries, as well as ArchiveGRID, a catalog that allows users to search the holdings of multiple research libraries and archives.

All links open new windows.

Subject

Heading "CUL Archives:"
"Portal"
"CUL Collections:"
"CLIO"
"Nat'l / Int'l Archives:"
"ArchivedGRID"
Columbia University. School of Engineering and Applied Sciences -- Alumni and alumnae Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of Mines -- Alumni and alumnae Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID

History / Biographical Note

Historical Note

In 1871 the Alumni Association for the School of Mines was organized, responsible for alumni gatherings, reunions, and anniversaries of the School. In 1896 the School of Mines was renamed the School of Mines, Engineering, and Chemistry, a recognition long coming of the branches of engineering and science beyond the original mines concept. In 1926, the School underwent its second name change to become simply the School of Engineering.