|Columbia University Archives|
Table of Contents
Using the Collection
Note: some material may be restricted or offsite
Container ListView All
At a Glance
Arranged as a single series in chronological order.
The collection provides information on the origins, history, and structure of the Program, including correspondence, press releases, memos, reports related to negotiations between the Program's founders and Soviet educational authorities, materials for American participants, and materials relating to selection of participants. Includes some sensitive first-hand reports by Americans studying in the Soviet Union at the height of the Cold War.
Using the Collection
Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Restrictions on Access
There are no restrictions on this collection.
This collection is located off-site. You will need to request this material at least three business days in advance to use the collection in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library reading room.
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Records of the Inter-University Committee on Travel Grants, Box and Folder; University Archives, Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Columbia University in the City of New York.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
2011-12-20 xml document instance created by Alison Rhonemus
2019-05-20 EAD was imported spring 2019 as part of the ArchivesSpace Phase II migration.
History / Biographical Note
This collection contains documents of the Inter-University Committee on Travel Grants (IUCTG), an organization founded in 1955 to facilitate the exchange of students and scholars between American universities and the Soviet Union. When the first inter-university exchanges were established in 1958, the American universities decided they wanted the program to be run by the universities and since faculty at Columbia played an integral role in the creation of this program, Columbia became home to the administrative offices of the IUCTG. Among the notable individuals involved were Schyler Wallace, Phillip Mosely, Marshall Shulman and other leading figures at Columbia's Russian Institute. In 1960, the administrative offices of the IUCTG were moved to Indiana University in 1960, where they remained until the organization was dissolved into the International Research and Exchanges Board in 1969.