|Columbia University Archives|
Table of Contents
Container ListView All
Series IV: Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Bulletins, 1885-2005
Series X: School of the Arts Bulletins, 1898-2010
The departments and divisions that make up the current School of the Arts have changed over the years: with divisions merging and separating as well as course and degree offerings expanding and contracting. The Faculty of Fine Arts was originally made up of the Schools of architecture, of music and of design and published announcements from 1902 to 1914. Department of Music was established in 1896 under the Faculty of Philosophy, then organized independently in 1902. It became the School of Music in1906 by joining together with department at Teachers College. Later, there was a Division of Fine Arts, Archaeology and Music from 1923 to 1947 and eventually Music joined the Faculty of Fine Arts. The School of Dramatic Arts started in 1946 but ceased to exist independently in 1958. Starting in 1958, Program in the Arts included courses in painting, sculpture, graphic arts, theatre arts, film, radio, and television. Since 1966, the Program was renamed as the School of the Arts currently offering courses in film, music, theatre arts, visual arts and writing. Some bulletins have been scanned by other institutions and are available via HathiTrust. To find those links, check out the Online Bulletins under the Course Descriptions research guide.