|Rare Book & Manuscript Library|
At a Glance
This collection is arranged in one series.
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of the Board of Trustees and Faculty meeting minutes of St. Stephen's College (1928-1935) and Bard College of Columbia University (1935-1944).
Using the Collection
Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Conditions Governing Access
This collection has no restrictions.
This collection is located on-site.
Conditions Governing Use
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. The RBML maintains ownership of the physical material only. Copyright remains with the creator and his/her heirs. The responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Bard College Minutes; Box and Folder (if known); University Archives, Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Columbia University Library.
Additional materials about Bard College can be found in the Office of the President's records or Central Files (UA#0001) and Historical Subject Files (UA#0002). There are also Bard College catalogues (call number CT3 H), freshmen handbooks (CT3 I), a 1929 yearbook (CE An79) and other publications available in the Columbiana Library. Columbia Alumni News devoted an entire issue to "St. Stephen's of Columbia University" (Vol. XX, 14 December 1928, call number CQ3 Al83). There is an oral history with Carlton Chester Qualey, historian and educator, on the relations between Bard College and Columbia University during the 1930s.
No additions are expected.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
This collection was processed by Joanna Rios. Finding aid written by Joanna Rios in August 2019.
History / Biographical Note
St. Stephen's College, an undergraduate college of arts and sciences in Annandale-on-Hudson, was founded in 1860. In 1928, the College was incorporated within the educational system of Columbia University as one of its colleges for undergraduates (St. Stephen's College of Columbia University). Meant to be on parity with Columbia College and Barnard College, the College had an agreement similar to the one between Columbia and Teachers College. All schools shared one University President, but St. Stephen's retained its Board of Trustees and managed its own finances. Less than 100 miles from Morningside Heights, "Columbia Up-State" was a small, residential college for about 125 men, based on the Oxford and Cambridge model with small classes, tutorials, and a focus on independent research and study. Students even wore robes to lectures. In 1935, with former Columbia professor Donald Tewksbury as Dean, the College broke from the Protestant Episcopal Church and changed its name to Bard College of Columbia University, in honor of its founder, John Bard. In 1944, Bard opened its doors to women students, which marked the end of its association with Columbia.