|Columbia University Archives|
At a Glance
This collection consists of the minutes and correspondence files of the University Council (1890 to 1968).
Using the Collection
Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Restrictions on Access
Material is unprocessed. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
This collection is located off-site. You will need to request this material at least three business days in advance to use the collection in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library reading room.
One box of University Council correspondence is closed for fragility pending processing.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. The RBML maintains ownership of the physical material only. Copyright remains with the creator and his/her heirs. The responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.
There are five boxes of duplicate University Council minutes in this unprocessed collection. University Council minutes are available for use via Faculty Meeting Minutes (UA#0005)
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Collection-level record describing unprocessed material made public in November 2018 as part of the Hidden Collections initiative.
History / Biographical Note
The University Council was introduced in 1890 as an advisory body to the University President, in particular to all matters affecting the Master's and the Doctoral degrees, "the correlation of courses, the extension of university work in new and old fields, and generally as to such matters as the President brings before it." This advisory body was made up of representatives from the different faculties (originally, Law, Mines, Political Science, Philosophy and Dean of the School of the Arts). Following the events of April and May 1968, urged by students and faculty alike, the University administration began revising long-established policies to include input from other members of the University community. The University Senate effectively replaced the University Council (12 May 1890-28 May 1969) which was created to give representation to the faculties and the administration in one central body, enabling them to address the Trustees jointly rather than separately.