|Rare Book & Manuscript Library|
At a Glance
This collection is arranged in one series: Series I. Chandler Chemical Museum records, 1934-1980.
This collection consists of copies of the card catalogue and two inventories of the holdings of the Chandler Chemical Museum. One inventory is a handwritten list, by case and by shelf, created by curator Samuel A. Tucker in the 1930s. The other inventory, from 1980, consists of color photographs from each numbered shelf with a list identifying the items.
Using the Collection
Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is located onsite.
This collection has no restrictions.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. The RBML maintains ownership of the physical material only. Copyright remains with the creator and his/her heirs. The responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Chandler Chemical Museum records; Box and Folder; University Archives, Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Columbia University Library.
No additions are expected.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
This collection was processed by Molly Boord (GS 2021) in May 2018. Finding aid written by Joanna Rios in April 2019.
2019-04-23 File created.
2019-05-20 EAD was imported spring 2019 as part of the ArchivesSpace Phase II migration.
History / Biographical Note
The Chandler Chemical Museum was a collection of chemicals, dyes, and other industry products collected by Charles Frederick Chandler, Dean of the School of Mines (later known as the School of Engineering), during his time at Columbia. The collection was first located in the old campus on 49th Street, but was formally organized as the Chemistry Museum in Havemeyer Hall on the Morningside campus. It was renamed as the Chandler Chemical Museum at the time of the professor's retirement in 1910. In addition to Louis Pasteur's chemical apparatus and Thomas Edison's film strip experiments, the museum held a renowned collection of daguerreotypes and cameras and would host exhibitions by the Amateur Photographic Society. In 1987 the museum was dismantled and its collection was spread across campus. For example, Art Properties holds the daguerreotypes from the Chandler Chemical Museum. Other items remain in display cases in the hallways of the 2nd and 4th floors of Havemeyer Hall.