|Columbia University Archives|
At a Glance
This collection is arranged in one series.
This collection consists of the two-volume set containing the photographs of 158 of the 278 Department of Psychology PhD recipients from 1895 to 1941. The 5" x 7" black-and-white photographs are organized by the alumni's last name and the year of the degree is included after the name.
Using the Collection
Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is located onsite.
This collection has no restrictions.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. The RBML maintains ownership of the physical material only. Copyright remains with the creator and his/her heirs. The responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Psychology Department Fifty Years photographs; Box and Folder; University Archives, Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Columbia University in the City of New York.
Selected Related Material at Columbia
No additions are expected
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
This collection was processed by Joanna Rios. Finding aid written by Joanna Rios in April 2018.
2018-04-28 File created.
2019-05-20 EAD was imported spring 2019 as part of the ArchivesSpace Phase II migration.
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
A course in psychology was offered at Columbia College (as Columbia University was known then) as early as 1867 as part of the Department of Moral and Intellectual Philosophy and English Literature. This first course was only open to seniors and covered the philosophy of intellect, feelings and will. With the separation of the English Literature Department in 1881, the new Department of Philosophy, Ethics and Psychology came into being. James McKeen Cattell was appointed Professor of Psychology and was assigned laboratory space in 1891. That same year, Experimental Psychology appears as its own department in the year's Announcement, although it would officially remain under the Department of Philosophy until 1920. The Department of Psychology marked its fiftieth anniversary as 1941. As part of celebration, the Department published a retrospective brochure with a history of the department written by Robert S. Woodworth and a list of alumni with their current locations. In addition, they reached out to the PhD alumni and asked them to send a recent photograph for an exhibition and a permanent file. Of the 278 graduates, 158 sent in photographs (33 women and 125 men) and those portraits were collected in a two-volume set.