|Rare Book & Manuscript Library|
Table of Contents
Using the Collection
Note: some material may be restricted or offsite
Container ListView All
At a Glance
This collection is arranged in six series.
The records in this collection consist of a register of children and their background information, Executive Board meeting minutes, bound books of signed agreements between the parent and the Society, descriptive application notes of children and parents, and general correspondence.
Using the Collection
Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection has no restrictions.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish material from the collection must be requested from the Curator of Manuscripts/University Archivist, Rare Book and Manuscript Library (RBML). The RBML approves permission to publish that which it physically owns; the responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Society for the Relief of Half-Orphan and Destitute Children Records; Box and Folder; Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Columbia University Library.
No additions are expected
Ownership and Custodial History
Transferred from the School of Social Work Library, 1989.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Records Processed HR 05/18/92.
Papers processed by Marilyn Chin (Queens College, 2011).
Finding aid written by Marilyn Chin (Queens College, 2011) March 2011.
Collection is processed to folder level.
2011-03-16 File created.
2011-03-22 XML document instance created by Catherine C. Ricciardi
2019-05-20 EAD was imported spring 2019 as part of the ArchivesSpace Phase II migration.
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
The Society for the Relief of Half-Orphan and Destitute Children was established in 1835. Its purpose was to provide aid to single parents or relatives, most of whom were immigrants, for a weekly or monthly fee. It was incorporated by the New York State Legislature on April 27, 1837 and located in New York City at 67 West Tenth Street, near Sixth Avenue. The Society provided room, board and education to boys and girls from the ages of four through ten. In addition to the fees paid by the parents, the Society was financially supported by donations and funds from the government. From the mid-19th century to the early 20th century, the Society accepted and helped more than two thousand needy children.