|Rare Book & Manuscript Library|
Table of Contents
Using the Collection
Note: some material may be restricted or offsite
Container ListView All
At a Glance
This collection is arranged into 11 series.
Correspondence, manuscripts, reports, and printed materials. The papers, which consist to a large extent of mimeographed and printed reports of various organizations with which Evans was affiliated, chronicle a wide range of his activities in the fields of law, international relations, and library service. Among the cataloged correspondents are: Dorothy Canfield Fisher, Norman Cousins, S. Radhakrishnan, and Paul H. Douglas
Using the Collection
Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is located off-site. You will need to request this material at least three business days in advance to use the collection in the Rare Book and Manuscript Library reading room.
This collection has no restrictions.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. The RBML maintains ownership of the physical material only. Copyright remains with the creator and his/her heirs. The responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Luther Harris Evans papers; Box and Folder; Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Columbia University Library.
Ownership and Custodial History
Gift of Luther Evans, 1975 & 1976.
Transfer from Lehman Library, 1986.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Processed BRC 04/--/86.
2010-01-28 Legacy finding aid created from Pro Cite.
2019-05-20 EAD was imported spring 2019 as part of the ArchivesSpace Phase II migration.
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
Educator & librarian. He was Director of the Historical Records Survey, Director of the Legislative Reference Service at the Library of Congress, Librarian of Congress from 1945 to 1953, Director General of UNESCO, and Director of the international and legal collections at the Columbia University Libraries, 1962-1971.