|Rare Book & Manuscript Library|
At a Glance
Arranged alphabetically by speaker.
Typescripts and printed copies of papers presented at the New York Philosophical Club, including papers by John Dewey and Bertrand Russell. Also, a manuscript volume of including meeting minutes, correspondence, attendance, speakers at the Club, dating from 1900 to 1919, is also included.
Using the Collection
Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Other Finding Aids
Restrictions on Access
This collection is located on-site.
This collection has no restrictions.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. The RBML maintains ownership of the physical material only. Copyright remains with the creator and his/her heirs. The responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); New York Philosophical Club records; Box and Folder; Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Columbia University Library.
Alternate Form Available
Minute book, 1900-1919, is on: microfilm.
Ownership and Custodial History
Transferred from the Philosophy Department, 1984.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Cataloged Christina Hilton Fenn 08/--/89.
Microfilm of Minutes Processed HR 10/08/94.
March 2020 PDF replaced with full finding aid, YH
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
New York Philosophical Club was organized in 1902, when Frederick J. Woodbridge and Felix Adler joined the philosophy department at Columbia. The mission of the club was to bring people of diverse philosophical attitudes and ideas together. When John Dewey joined the faculty in 1904, he was elected to the club. Members of the Philosophy Department at other universities such as NYU, Harvard, Yale, and Princeton were also welcomed as members of the club. Members of the club include Morris Raphael Cohen, William Montague, Horace Frisco, John Herman Randall, Ernest Nagel, Sidney Hook, William Bakewell, W. H. Sheldon, Brand Blanshard, James Gutmann, as well as others. In the early years, the club met in the homes of its members. In the early 40s, meetings were transferred to the Columbia Faculty Club for a short period of time and then the club met at the Faculty House of New York University in the late 50s. The New York Philosophical Club was active until the mid 1970s.