|Rare Book & Manuscript Library|
At a Glance
Cataloged in full.
Scope and Content
Letters from Dean Rusk, Jean Monnet, Lyndon Johnson, Dwight Eisenhower, David Ben-Gurion, Earl Warren, and others concerning their being made honorary members of the Academy of Political Science.
Using the Collection
Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection has no restrictions.
This collection is located on-site.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. Permission to publish material from the collection must be requested from the Curator of Manuscripts, Rare Book and Manuscript Library (RBML). The RBML approves permission to publish that which it physically owns; the responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Academy of Political Science letters; Box and Folder; Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Columbia University Library.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Letters Processed 1970.
2009-06-26 File created.
2012-01-31 EAD created by PTL
2019-05-20 EAD was imported spring 2019 as part of the ArchivesSpace Phase II migration.
History / Biographical Note
The Academy of Political Science (APS), founded in 1880, promotes objective, scholarly analyses of political, social, and economic issues. Through its conferences and publications APS provides analysis and insight into both domestic and foreign policy issues.
The Academy was established in 1880 as an adjunct to the activities of Columbia University's Law School and newly created Graduate School of Political Science. Senior members of its faculty and graduate scholars saw the need for a companion institution to serve as a link between the academic world of political science and the larger world of practical politics and government.
Although membership was initially limited to affiliates of Columbia, the Academy's relationship with the University has always been informal, limited to an agreement by Columbia's trustees to allow use of some of its buildings for Academy meetings and functions.
In 1896 membership was extended to other political scientists and to students of politics in universities and colleges throughout the country. In 1910 the Academy was formally incorporated as a non-for-profit institution in New York State. A constitution and by-laws were adopted and, in keeping with its growing influence and the developing interest of the general public, the Academy opened membership privileges to all who shared its interests and would pay its nominal dues.
Due to its well established effort to provide analysis on domestic and foreign affairs, the Academy enjoys a special prestige among the many institutions, committees and think tanks devoted to the exploration and exposition of public policy. More important than mere longevity are the depth and breadth of intellectual competence that the Academy's members bring to their chosen fields. Furthermore, there is the assurance that all publications of the Academy are not shaped by ideological or partisan considerations.