|Rare Book & Manuscript Library|
Table of Contents
Using the Collection
Note: some material may be restricted or offsite
Container ListView All
At a Glance
Material is arranged into two series.
The Schneider collection holds the work of Henry Schneider (1910-1998) who served as a Deputy Chief under Colonel Bernard Bernstein, Director, Finance Division, Individuals' External Assets Branch, Division of Investigation of Cartels and External Assets (DICEA). As a deputy chief, Schneider was primarily engaged in identifying the economic assets of, accumulating evidence about and conducting interrogations against Nazi organizations and war criminals. The one box collection (0.5 linear feet) holds interrogation transcripts of Nazi officers (including Hermann Goering and Joachim von Ribbentrop), the testimony of Orvis A. Schmidt, Director of Foreign Funds Control, U.S. Treasury Department, before Senator Harley M. Kilgore's Subcommittee on German Espionage of the Senate Military Affairs Committee, and many of the reports produced by DICEA for the Military Tribunals in Nuremberg.
Using the Collection
Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is located off-site.
This collection has no restrictions.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Single photocopies may be made for research purposes. The RBML maintains ownership of the physical material only. Copyright remains with the creator and his/her heirs. The responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Henry Schneider Papers; Box and Folder; Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Columbia University Library.
Ownership and Custodial History
Gift of Henry Schneider's wife, Mrs. Jacqueline B. Schneider in 1999.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Rare Book and Manuscript Library
Papers processed Chris Laico 2000.
Fidning aid written Craig Savino 2009.
2013-10-02 File created.
2019-05-20 EAD was imported spring 2019 as part of the ArchivesSpace Phase II migration.
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
Henry Schneider (1910-1998) served in the United States Army from September 1942 to October 1945. The Henry Schneider Collection documents his service as an U.S. Army officer immediately after World War II. Schneider served as a Deputy Chief under Colonel Bernard Bernstein (1908-1990), Director, Finance Division, Individuals' External Assets Branch, Division of Investigation of Cartels and External Assets (DICEA). As a deputy chief, Schneider was primarily engaged in identifying the economic assets of, accumulating evidence about and conducting interrogations against Nazi organizations and war criminals.
Henry Schneider was born in Brooklyn, New York on April 18, 1910. He pursued his undergraduate education at the College of the City of New York (A.B. 1931). Schneider attended the Columbia University Law School, where he served as a distinguished member of the Board of Editors of the Columbia Law Review (1932-1934) and received his J.D. degree with honors in 1934.
After his army service, Henry Schneider rejoined the firm of Moses & Singer LLP, where he had begun his legal career in 1934. At Moses & Singer, Schneider specialized in tax, trust and estate law, and corporate law. Schneider was known to his partners and legal colleagues as an exemplar of the attorney as counselor bringing a rare combination of uncommon good sense and extraordinary legal acumen to all who were fortunate enough to receive his counsel.
Throughout his life, Henry Schneider remained active in philanthropy. As President of the Henry and Lucy Moses Fund (1942-1998) and as a long-time advisor to the noted philanthropist Lucy G. Moses, he made matchless contributions to the welfare of New York City and its residents. He was a member of the Board of Trustees of the Elaine Kaufman Cultural Center and played a major role in the creation of the Lucy Moses School for Music and Dance. Schneider was also a Trustee of the Central Park Conservancy and a pioneer in efforts to improve Central Park. He was a lifelong supporter of Columbia University and instrumental in the creation of the Chairs now held by the Deans of Columbia College and the Columbia Law School. Many other organizations also benefited from his charitable efforts such as the Montefiore Medical Center, Mount Sinai Medical Center, UJA-Federation and AIDS charities.