Avery Drawings & Archives Collections
 

William & Geoffrey Platt architectural drawings and records, 1909-1984, bulk 1929-1984

Summary Information

At a Glance

Bib ID 9383751 View CLIO record
Creator(s) William & Geoffery Platt ; Platt, Wyckoff & Coles
Title William & Geoffrey Platt architectural drawings and records, 1909-1984, bulk 1929-1984
Physical Description 39 document boxes
Language(s) English .
Additional Description http://www.columbia.edu/cu/libraries/inside/avery_assets/PLATT_william.geoffrey_inventory.xls
Access

This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email avery-drawings@library.columbia.edu.

Arrangement

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in 7 series: Correspondence, Drawings, Details, Specifications, Cowley, Miscellaneous, Photographs.

Description

Scope and content

This collection contains primarily project records, including drawings, files, specifications, correspondence, and photographs, related to the architectural practice of William & Geoffrey Platt. Projects including commercial, institutional, and residential buildings located in Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maine, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Vermont, Washington, and France. The firm was involved in the design of many buildings and additions for institutions such as the Pierpoint Morgan Library, Princeton University, Smith College, and Deerfield Academy.

Using the Collection

Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library

Restrictions on Access

This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email avery-drawings@library.columbia.edu.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Source of acquisition--Platt, Wyckoff & Coles. Method of acquisition--Donated;; Date of acquisition--1994. Accession number--1994.015.

About the Finding Aid / Processing Information

Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library

Subject Headings

The subject headings listed below are found in this collection. Links below allow searches at Columbia University through the Archival Collections Portal and through CLIO, the catalog for Columbia University Libraries, as well as ArchiveGRID, a catalog that allows users to search the holdings of multiple research libraries and archives.

All links open new windows.

Subject

Heading "CUL Archives:"
"Portal"
"CUL Collections:"
"CLIO"
"Nat'l / Int'l Archives:"
"ArchivedGRID"
Architects -- United States Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Architecture -- Connecticut Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Architecture -- Delaware Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Architecture -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Architecture -- Massachusetts Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Architecture -- New York (State) -- New York Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Architecture -- Ohio Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Architecture -- Pennsylvania Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Architecture -- United States -- Designs and plans Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Architecture -- Vermont Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Architecture -- Virginia Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Bennett College (Greensboro, N.C.) -- : Buildings Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Deerfield Academy -- : Buildings Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
MacArthur Memorial Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Middlesex School (Concord, Mass.) -- : Buildings Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Pierpont Morgan Library Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Platt, Charles A (Charles Adams), 1861-1933 Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Presbyterian Church of Mt. Kisco (Mount Kisco, N.Y.) Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Princeton University -- : Buildings Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Smith College -- : Buildings Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Stern, Edgar Bloom, 1886-1959 Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID

History / Biographical Note

Biographical / Historical

The architectural firm of William & Geoffrey Platt was located at 101 Park Avenue in New York, NY. The firm originally functioned under the name Charles A. Platt, WIlliam & Geoffrey until 1933. The principles, William Platt and Geoffrey Platt, were the sons of architect Charles Adams Platt. William was born on February 6, 1887 and Geoffrey was born on August 6, 1905. Both graduated from St. Mark's School in Southborough, MA, attended college at Harvard College, and went on to receive a degree in architecture from Columbia University.