|Avery Drawings & Archives Collections|
Table of Contents
Container ListView All
Series I: Administrative Records
Internal/Committees 1940s, civic groups, miscellany. Some materials from 1920s
Miscellany, 1960s. Internal Governance, 1950s.
Internal Governance Materials 1960s.
Internal Materials, 1950s-1960s. Clips, documents, lawsuit – 1930s. Chronological files, 1960s. Projects/Proposals, 1960s.
Internal Materials, 1930s. Awards/Correspondence/Budget, 1930s. Miscellany, 1930s-1950s. Internal Material, 1940s.
Newsclips, 1940s. Internal, 1940s. Water Pollution, 1948. Major Deegan. Vandalism, 1939-1943.
Internal/Financial/Celebrations, 1930s-1940s. Theatre Benefits, 1950s.
Miscellaneous, 1960 and earlier. E.g.: Breezy Point, Ruppert Greening, TBTA, Federal Land and Water Conservation.
Minutes, Board of Directors, 1967-1972. Matching Program, 1976, 1970s (Notebooks).
General, 1960's and earlier. Bottle Bill.
General, 1960's. Ruppert; vest-pocket parks.
Series II: Individual Park Files
At a Glance
This collection includes office papers, correspondence, grant applications, reports, exhibitions materials, photographs, printed materials, maps, and scrapbooks related to the work and interests of the Parks Council in New York City.
Folder titles and subseries names are maintained from the Park Council's original filing system. The series names and groupings were supplied by the archivist. There collection is divided into 8 series.
Using the Collection
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Columbia University is providing access to the materials in the Library's collections solely for noncommercial educational and research purposes. The unauthorized use, including, but not limited to, publication of the materials without the prior written permission of Columbia University is strictly prohibited. All inquiries regarding permission to publish should be submitted in writing to the Director, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. In addition to permission from Columbia University, permission of the copyright owner (if not Columbia University) and/or any holder of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) may also be required for reproduction, publication, distributions, and other uses. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of any item and securing any necessary permissions rests with the persons desiring to publish the item. Columbia University makes no warranties as to the accuracy of the materials or their fitness for a particular purpose.
Parks Council records. Located in the Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Gift of the Parks Council. Accession number--1989.002.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
This ArchivesSpace finding aid was restructured from a legacy finding aid and converted into EAD by Shelley Hayreh (Avery Archivist) in 2020.
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
The Parks Council (renamed in 2002 as New Yorkers for Parks) is a non-profit advocacy organization that promotes the development, use, and maintenance of parks, playgrounds, community gardens, and open space in New York City.
The earliest iteration of the council was the 1908 Parks and Playgrounds Association of the City of New York. In 1928, the association merged with the Battery Park Association and the Central Park Association and became the Park Association of New York City. In 1970, the Park Association merged with the Council for Parks and Playgrounds to become The Parks Council.