|Avery Drawings & Archives Collections|
At a Glance
This collection contains original and reprographic architectural drawings for two properties occupied by the Convent of the Sacred Heart in Manhattan. These include the former James A. Burden, Jr., residence at 7 E. 91st St., designed by the New York architectural firm of Warren, Wetmore & Morgan in 1902-1903; and the Otto H. Kahn residence at 1 E. 91st St., designed by New York architect C. P. H. Gilbert in 1916-1918.
Using the Collection
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Columbia University is providing access to the materials in the Library's collections solely for noncommercial educational and research purposes. The unauthorized use, including, but not limited to, publication of the materials without the prior written permission of Columbia University is strictly prohibited. All inquiries regarding permission to publish should be submitted in writing to the Director, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. In addition to permission from Columbia University, permission of the copyright owner (if not Columbia University) and/or any holder of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) may also be required for reproduction, publication, distributions, and other uses. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of any item and securing any necessary permissions rests with the persons desiring to publish the item. Columbia University makes no warranties as to the accuracy of the materials or their fitness for a particular purpose.
Convent of the Sacred Heart architectural records. Located in the Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Gift of the Trustees of the Convent of the Sacred Heart. Accession number--2008.006.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Drawings Processed JSP 10/16/08.
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
The Convent of the Sacred Heart acquired the Kahn mansion in 1934 and the Burden mansion in 1940 for use as school facilities.