|Avery Drawings & Archives Collections|
At a Glance
This collection is organized in two series: Papers and Architectural Drawings.
Scope and Content
This collection contains original and reprographic correspondence, financial papers, black and white photographs, and reprographic architectural drawings relating to the commissioning, design, and construction of the Kaufmann Conference Rooms in the Institute of International Education's headquarters in New York City, N.Y., between 1961 and 1966.
Using the Collection
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email email@example.com.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Permission to publish must be obtained in writing from the Director, Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, 1172 Amsterdam Ave., MC 0301, New York, NY 10027.
Institute of International Education, Kaufmann Conference Rooms architectural drawings and papers. Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library. Columbia University, New York, NY.
Ownership and Custodial History
Gift of Edgar J. Kaufmann, Jr.
This collection was a gift from Edgar J. Kaufmann, Jr. to Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library in the late 1960s or early 1970s. (1000.081)
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Papers Processed AvR 11/2007.
2007-11-14 File created.
2009-11-17 File revised.
2019-05-20 EAD was imported spring 2019 as part of the ArchivesSpace Phase II migration.
History / Biographical Note
In 1961, noted American architectural patron, curator and critic Edgar J. Kaufmann, Jr. commissioned the respected Finnish architect Alvar Aalto and his wife, architect Elissa Aalto, to design a suite of meeting areas on the 12th floor of the Institute of International Education's headquarters in New York City, across from the United Nations complex. Construction began in 1963 and was completed by 1966. The New York architectural firm Harrison & Abramovitz coordinated the design and construction and Artek Oy Ab manufactured the furnishings. Still extant, the Kaufmann Conference Rooms are among only four works completed by Aalto in the United States.