|Avery Drawings & Archives Collections|
At a Glance
General architectural sheets are stored in numerical order, Index Sheet followed by A-1 through A-53; followed by Arcade architectural sheets, A-1 through A-3; and one unnumbered furniture sheet.
Scope and Content
Collection consists of sixty original architectural and furniture drawings for Lever House in New York City, drawn between 1950 and 1952. Most sheet are graphite on paper, with a smaller group of sepia diazo prints with extensive graphite annotations. All sheets were treated by a paper conservator and are now encapsulated in polyester film.
In 1980, Lever House was awarded the 25-Year Award by the American Institute of Architects, prompting the donation of these drawings to Columbia University
Using the Collection
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Permission to publish must be obtained in writing from the Director, Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, 1172 Amsterdam Ave., MC 0301, New York, NY 10027.
Lever House architectural drawings, 1950-1953. Located in Columbia University, Avery Archiectural & Fine Arts Library, Department of Drawings & Archives.
Gordon Bunshaft architectural drawings and papers, 1909-1990 (bulk 1950-1979). Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP collection of Ezra Stoller photographs, bulk 1940-1970. Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill photographs, 1945-1969. Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Gift of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. Accession number--1982.002.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Drawings Processed ET, AvR 03/06/07.
2007-11-27 File created.
2009-11-17 File revised.
2019-05-20 EAD was imported spring 2019 as part of the ArchivesSpace Phase II migration.
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
Lever House, one of the major landmarks of International Style architecture, was designed by Gordon Bunshaft, of the the New York office of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. Sited along Park Avenue between 53rd and 54th Streets in New York City, the building was completed in 1952. Weiskoff & Pickworth were the structural engineers and Jaros Baum & Bolles were the mechanical engineers.