|Avery Drawings & Archives Collections|
At a Glance
Scope and content
The Charles Frederick Chandler collection is composed of several parts. It contains a miscellaneous collection of approximately 167 drawings, notebooks, letters, pamphlets, clippings, etc. formed by Chandler on the subject of tenement housing and documents work on Chandler's house at 51 E. 54th Street in New York City. The Chandler collection also contains 13 photographs, collected by Chandler, related to the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia. Additional materials include a collection of photo processes and two E.T. Potter broadsides dated 1887-1888.
Chandler's Scrapbooks of tenement house plans (10 vols), are located in Avery Classics at: AA7880 C36. Vol. 1 is also available on microfilm.
Using the Collection
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Permission to publish must be obtained in writing from the Director, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University,1172 Amsterdam Ave., Mail Code 0301, New York, NY 10027.
Charles Frederick Chandler architectural records and papers collection, Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library. Columbia University, New York, NY.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Gift. Accession number--1977.007.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
architectural drawings, broadsides, correspondence, photographs, publications surveyed 09/25/2002.
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
Chandler, an American chemist, founded Columbia University's School of Mines in 1864. He also served as chair of the University's Chemistry Dept. Upon his retirement in 1910, alumni established a Chandler Medal for research in chemistry.
Chandler advised New York City's Board of Health on sanitation issues such as tenement overcrowding and adulterated foods. He served as president of the Board in 1873, and from 1877 to 1885.