|Avery Drawings & Archives Collections|
At a Glance
Architectural drawings for buildings designed by Hamlin including proposed alterations for the Charles Dudley Warner House, circa 1885; pumping station Clear Stream (or Clear Stream Station), Long Island, 1886; American Classical School, Athens, Greece, 1886-1888; proposed cottage for Mrs. R. Hoe at Sea Cliff, Long Island, 1887; an addition to Clinton Hall at Blair Presbyterian Academy, Blairstown, New Jersey, circa 1896; Soldier's Monument, Whitinsville, Massachusetts, circa 1904 (Hamlin was the architect and Herman A. MacNeil was the sculptor); and miscellaneous and unidentified structures. Also included are drawings done by Hamlin while a student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1876-1877; sketches done by Hamlin on travels both in the United States and abroad, 1867-1923; photographs of various unidentified buildings and architectural drawings; manuscripts of "ARCHITECTURAL SHADES AND SHADOWS" with related drawings"History of American Art" (unfinished, in French), circa 1923, and "MODERN ARCHITECTURE AND THE CRITICS" circa 1923. Personal materials included undated photographs of A.D.F. Hamlin; a photograph of an 1835 portrait of Cyrus Hamlin; a volume containing condolences, 1926, on the occasion of A.D.F. Hamlin's death; and a scrapbook"Memoirs of Amherst, Class of '75" containing programs, invitations, clippings, notes, essays, exam questions, steamship passenger lists, and other materials.
Using the Collection
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
A. D. F. Hamlin architectural drawings and papers. Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Gift.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
Architect, Professor of Architecture. Hamlin was affiliated with the architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White, 1881-1883, and taught at Columbia's School of Architecture from 1883 to 1926.