Avery Drawings & Archives Collections
 

Charles Coolidge Haight architectural drawings and papers, 1874-1914

Summary Information

At a Glance

Bib ID 3460611 View CLIO record
Creator(s) Haight, Charles Coolidge, 1841-1917 ; New York (N.Y.). Department of Health
Title Charles Coolidge Haight architectural drawings and papers, 1874-1914
Physical Description 62 Sheets; 65 photographs (65 photographs); 15 ppages of papers (15 ppages of papers)
Language(s) English .
Access

This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email avery-drawings@library.columbia.edu.

Arrangement

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in two series: Series I: Architectural Drawings and Series II: Photographs. Materials in Series I are organized geographically by state and city, then alphabetically by project name, and then by view type. Materials in Series II are organized alphabetically by project name and then by view type.

Description

Scope and Content

This collection contains architectural drawings by various delineators and photographs of completed buildings designed by Charles Coolidge Haight. These projects include General Theological Seminary; the School of Mines at Columbia University; Christ Church, built in 1860; St. Ignatius Chapel, built in 1902; and Trinity School--all in New York City. Also included are the Chapel of Saint Cornelius the Centurion on Governors Island, New York; buildings at Yale University; and miscellaneous and unidentified projects. Additionally found in the collection are a contract and specifications from 1881 for a hospital for contagious diseases to be built for the New York City Health Department on North Brother Island in New York City, as well as reproductions of architectural drawings for this hospital.

Using the Collection

Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library

Restrictions on Access

This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email avery-drawings@library.columbia.edu.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

Permission to publish must be obtained in writing from the Director, Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, 1172 Amsterdam Ave., MC 0301, New York, NY 10027.

Preferred Citation

Charles Coolidge Haight architectural drawings and papers, circa 1860-1917. Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.

Related Material

Columbia College Collection, Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.

Guastavino Fireproof Construction Company/George Collins Architectural Records and Drawings, Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.

University Archives, Columbia University.

Haight Family Papers, 1823-1958. Manuscripts Division, New-York Historical Society.

About the Finding Aid / Processing Information

Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library

Processing Information

Architectural drawings, photoprints, contract and specifications Processed Julie Tozer, Daniel Fox, Annemarie van Roessel 03/--/2007.

Revision Description

2007-10-15 File created.

2009-07-15 File revised.

2019-05-20 EAD was imported spring 2019 as part of the ArchivesSpace Phase II migration.

Subject Headings

The subject headings listed below are found in this collection. Links below allow searches at Columbia University through the Archival Collections Portal and through CLIO, the catalog for Columbia University Libraries, as well as ArchiveGRID, a catalog that allows users to search the holdings of multiple research libraries and archives.

All links open new windows.

Genre/Form

Heading "CUL Archives:"
"Portal"
"CUL Collections:"
"CLIO"
"Nat'l / Int'l Archives:"
"ArchivedGRID"
Architects Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Architectural drawings Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Photographic prints Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID

Subject

Heading "CUL Archives:"
"Portal"
"CUL Collections:"
"CLIO"
"Nat'l / Int'l Archives:"
"ArchivedGRID"
Anglican church buildings -- New York (State) -- New York Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Architecture -- New York (State) -- New York Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Architecture -- United States -- Designs and plans Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Chapel of Saint Cornelius the Centurion (Governor's Island, N.Y.) Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Christ Church (New York, N.Y.) Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Church of the Holy Communion (New York, N.Y.) Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Columbia University. School of Mines Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
General Theological Seminary (New York, N.Y.) Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Hospitals -- New York (State) -- New York Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Saint Ignatius of Antioch Episcopal Church (New York, N.Y.) Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Schools -- New York (State) -- New York Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Theological seminaries -- New York (State) -- New York Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Trinity School (New York, N.Y.) Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Universities and colleges -- Connecticut -- New Haven Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Universities and colleges -- New York (State) -- New York Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID
Yale University -- : Buildings Portal CLIO ArchiveGRID

History / Biographical Note

Biographical / Historical

Born in New York City in 1841, Haight received his bachelor's degree from Columbia College in 1861 and enlisted in the Union Army in the following year. After his discharge, Haight returned to New York to work for Emlyn Little, a fellow soldier. Haight opened his private practice in New York in 1867 and was later joined in partnership by Alfred Morton Githens. Haight received numerous commissions for residential and institutional work, and was the principal architect of the Midtown New York City campus of Columbia College in the 1870s and 1880s. He was also the primary architect for the Trinity Corporation, designing warehouses and apartment houses throughout New York City. Much of Haight's work was in the Collegiate Gothic style, which served well for commissions for Union Theological Seminary in New York City; St. Ignatius of Antioch Episcopal Church in New York City, St. Stephen's College (now Bard College) in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York; Keney Memorial Tower in Hartford, Connecticut; and the Vanderbilt Dormitory at Yale University, among others. Haight retired from practice in the mid-1910s and died at his home in Garrison, New York, in 1917.