|Avery Drawings & Archives Collections|
At a Glance
Included are 19 original architectural drawings and photographs and prints of drawings by Withers. Among these are designs for the Van Schaick Free Reading Room (now the Huntington Free Library and Reading Room), Bronx, N.Y.; reredos proposed for the Church of the Transfiguration, New York City; Chapel of the Good Shepherd on Blackwells Island (now Roosevelt Island), N.Y.; a competition design for the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, New York City; St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Hanover, N.H.); and drawings by others, including Sullivan Jones and Rowland Plumbe. This collection also includes manuscript copies of three letters from Withers to his mother written at sea in 1852 and describing his trip to America.
Using the Collection
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email email@example.com.
Frederick Clarke Withers architectural drawings and papers. Dept. of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York, N.Y.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Various gifts. Accession number--1958.001 and 1999.008.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
Architect. Withers was born in England and emigrated to the United States in 1852.