|Avery Drawings & Archives Collections|
At a Glance
The collection consists of one series: Series I: Architectural Drawings
Scope and Content
Architectural drawings for Douglass' projects, particularly Cross County Center, Yonkers, N.Y., 1955-1965; Eudowood Shopping Plaza, Baltimore, Md., 1961-1973; Garden Center, Paramus, N.J., 1961-1966; Melville Mall, North Terminal Business Center Urban Renewal Project, New Bedford, Mass., 1969-1973; Sunrise Mall, Massapequa, N.Y., 1971-1972; and other projects, largely shopping centers.
Using the Collection
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email email@example.com.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Permission to publish must be obtained in writing from the Director, Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, 1172 Amsterdam Ave., MC 0301, New York, NY 10027.
Lathrop Douglass architectural drawings, Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Gift. Accession number--1981.005.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
2009-06-25 File created.
2019-05-20 EAD was imported spring 2019 as part of the ArchivesSpace Phase II migration.
History / Biographical Note
Lathrop Douglass was born in Kansas City, Mo. in 1907. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Yale University in 1929, studied at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Fontainebleau, France, and returned to Yale, where he received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1932.
Between 1938 and 1941, he worked for the Housing Board of the State of New York, and during World War II he was in charge of design for a repair program for bases, hospitals and utilities in Africa and the Middle East. After working for John W. Harris Associates for several years, he founded his own firm in 1947.
During his firm's first years, he designed a series of office building for the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey and various affiliates. In 1956, he received first prize at the Festival International d'Architecture in Paris for his design the Creole Petroleum Building in Caracas, Venezuela.