|Avery Drawings & Archives Collections|
At a Glance
The collection consists of Caroline King's research files on Henry Dudley. King was researching Henry Dudley for a potential doctoral dissertation on Dudley's practice in New York City between the years 1851 and 1894. The collection primarily contains photocopies of articles and other resources King collected. The collection also includes slides of some of Dudley's extant buildings, likely taken by King in the 1980s.
Using the Collection
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
History / Biographical Note
Biographical / Historical
Caroline King was the Education Director at the Rensselaer County Historical Society. In the late 1980s, she was conducting research on the 19th century New York architect Henry C. Dudley for a possible doctoral dissertation. By 1990, she was no longer pursuing a doctoral dissertation and donated her research files on Dudley to Avery Drawings & Archives.
The English-born Henry C. Dudley (1813-1894) was an architect practicing in New York during the mid to late 19th century. Dudley was a founding member of the American Institute of Architects. His notable commissions include Saint Paul's Episcopal Cathedral in Syracuse New York and Trinity Church in Elmira, New York.