|Avery Drawings & Archives Collections|
At a Glance
Scope and content
This small collection consists of 11 drawings, work receipts, bills, specifications, printed material, and a some correspondence and legal papers related to the erection of The Buckingham Hotel.
Using the Collection
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Dan Petonito. Method of acquisition--Donated;; Date of acquisition--2014. Accession number--2014.012.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
History / Biographical Note
The Buckingham Hotel opened in January 1876 on the southeast corner of 55th Street and Fifth Avenue in New York City. At the time of opening, the hotel's location was noted as "one which in a short time will be the very centre of business and most desirable for merchants going and coming and especially a pleasant home for families." The Buckingham Hotel was one of many new hotels being built on or near Fifth Avenue at the time. Owner, George Kemp, a wealthy wholesale druggist and owner of many valuable New York buildings commissioned the Architect William Field and Son to design the select family hotel. The hotel stood for almost half a century before business eventually crept up Fifth Avenue. In 1920, Saks & Co. leased the property from the George Kemp Realty Company. In 1922, Saks & Co. demolished The Buckingham Hotel and the adjoining Democratic Club and the Belgravia Apartments to make way for their new store, which opened in September 1924.