|Avery Drawings & Archives Collections|
At a Glance
The collection contains primarily architectural drawing reproductions documenting the site history of Columbia University's Geology Library from Schermerhorn Hall on Columbia Unversity's Morningside campus to, later, the Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory in Palisades, N.Y. The drawings are largely floor plans and some building elevations of both the early and later sites, but the collection also includes a survey map of the Palisades, N.Y. site, and site plans for the Thomas W. Lamont, Esq. Country Residence and Gardens. Also included are 9 student drawings of the Geology and Zoology Library in Schermerhorn Hall by School of Mines student Eugene B. Sieminski, Jr. dated 1958. Architects represented include McKim, Mead, and White, Paver & Wildfoerster, and Olmstead Brothers Landscaper Architects.
Using the Collection
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Lamont Geo. Sciences Library. Method of acquisition--Transferred;; Date of acquisition--2015. Accession number--2015.005.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
History / Biographical Note
Columbia University's Geology Library is located in Schermerhorn Hall on the Morningside Heights campus. From approximately 1948 until 2016 an additional site was maintained on the Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory campus in Palasides, N.Y.
In 1929, Thomas W. Lamont (1870-1948), a Wall Street banker, constructed a weekend residence overlooking the Hudson River in Palisades, New York. He named the estate "Torrey Cliff" after John Torrey, a prominent botanist who had spent summers on the site from about 1854 to 1865. In 1948, Thomas W. Lamont died and his widow, Florence Corliss Lamont (1873-1952), an alumna of Columbia University, donated the estate to Columbia. In 1969, the Observatory was renamed "Lamont-Doherty" after a major contribution from the Henry L. and Grace Doherty Charitable Foundation.