|Avery Drawings & Archives Collections|
At a Glance
Scope and content
The collection consists of a report created by Knubel documenting the demolition of Radio Row, a warehouse district on Manhattan's lower west side in the Financial District, to make space for the construction of the World Trade Center. The report, entitled "Spring On Radio Row: The World Trade Center Advances" was written as an assignment for an Urban Design Theory class Knubel was enrolled in as a special student in the Spring 1966. The report includes original photographs by Knubel of Radio Row before demolition, as well as collected images of the preliminary design and site plan for the World Trade Center from The Port of New York Authority. Also included in the collection are newspaper clippings from 1966 regarding the World Trade Center plan and correspondence with Look Magazine's Editorial Board regarding a possible submission.
Using the Collection
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Restrictions on Access
This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Source of acquisition--Judith Leynse. Method of acquisition--Donated;; Date of acquisition--2004. Accession number--2004.010.
About the Finding Aid / Processing Information
Columbia University Libraries, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
History / Biographical Note
Fred Knubel served as Columbia University's spokesperson for 35 years. Born Dec. 11, 1935 in Rochester, N.Y. Knubel went on to receive degrees from Hamilton College (1957) and Columbia University's Graduate School of Journalism (1959). Prior to his professional work at Columbia University, Knubel was a reporter for the Rochester Times-Union. He joined the Columbia News Office in 1963, eventually being promoted to associate director of the University's Office of Public Information in 1967. He served as Director of Public Information from 1969 until his death in 1998.