crown CU Home > Libraries Home
Columbia University Libraries Archival CollectionsAvery Drawings & Archives Collections
 

Estate of Catherine Everit Macy and Walter Graeme Ladd, Somerset County, N.J.: 1910-1940

Download and Print CitationContact Bookmark Share
COinS Metadata available (e.g., for Zotero).

Summary Information

At a Glance

CLIO record: View CLIO record
Creator(s):Lowell, Guy, 1870-1927
Title:Estate of Catherine Everit Macy and Walter Graeme Ladd, Somerset County, N.J.: 1910-1940
Physical description:780 drawings
Language(s):In English
Access: This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please call (212) 854-4110 or email avery-drawings@libraries.columbia.edu.  More information »

Arrangement

Return to top

Description

Scope and Content

The architectural drawings found at "Natirar" at the time the property was acquired by Somerset County, in 2003, include those relating to the original designs by Guy Lowell and Henry J. Hardenbergh between 1910 and 1912, and those relating to the alterations and renovations made in the late 1940s under the direction of York and Sawyer. The drawings are organized by architect, which, in effect, also organizes the drawings by date ranges. Drawings that bear the names of various subcontractors have been organized by subcontractor but are filed with reference to the relevant principal architect. In addition to the drawings pertaining to "Natirar," the collection includes copies of three drawings by architect William Hanford Beers (1856-1932) of the "Gedney Farm" residence of Howard Willets and Mary Macy Willets at White Plains, New York, which was constructed circa 1898 (see photographs of the Willets residence in the July 1901 issue of The American Architect and Building News). William H. Beers' wife, Alice Macy, was a first cousin once removed to sisters Mary Macy Willets and Kate Macy Ladd.

Return to top

Using the Collection

Access Restrictions

This collection is available for use by appointment in the Department of Drawings & Archives, Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library, Columbia University. For further information and to make an appointment, please call (212) 854-4110 or email avery-drawings@libraries.columbia.edu.

Restrictions on Use

For additional guidance on restrictions and permissions see Columbia University Libraries Publication and Digital Reproduction Policy and Procedures

For Further Information

For more information about using the collections and conducting research in the Department of Drawings & Archives, please see our FAQ.

Return to top

About the Finding Aid / Processing Information

Columbia University Libraries. Avery Architecture and Fine Arts Library. Department of Drawings and Archives; machine readable finding aid created by Columbia University Libraries Digital Library Program Division

CLIO ID: 11609495 View CLIO record

Return to top

Index Terms

The names and terms listed below are represented in this collection. Links below allow searches at Columbia University through the Archival Collections Portal and through CLIO, the catalog for Columbia University Libraries, as well as ArchiveGRID, a consortial/union catalog offered by OCLC that allows users to search the holdings of multiple archives and libraries.

All links open new windows.

Subjects

HeadingCUL Archives:
Portal
CUL Collections:
CLIO
Nat'l / Int'l Archives:
ArchiveGRID
York & Sawyer.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Hardenbergh, H. J. (Henry Janeway), 1847-1918PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Architecture--United States--Designs and plans.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Architecture, Domestic--New Jersey.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Facility Design and ConstructionPortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Hospitals, Convalescent |z United States.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Long-Term Care |z United States.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID
Architectural drawings--American.PortalCLIOArchiveGRID

Return to top

History / Biographical Note

History

Catherine ("Kate") Everit Macy (1863-1945) and her husband, Walter Graeme Ladd (1856-1933), began to acquire land in what are now the Somerset County, New Jersey, communities of Peapack-Gladstone, Far Hills and Bedminster in 1905. Eventually, the Ladds created one of the largest estates in the Somerset Hills "Mountain Colony," encompassing some 1,000 acres. They named their estate "Natirar," an anagram for the North Branch of the Raritan River that meanders for approximately two miles through the property.

From 1905 until 1912, when their new brick and limestone, slate-roofed Tudor-style mansion was completed (the extant main "Natirar" residence), Kate and Walter Ladd resided in a large frame house located nearby on the property. That house had been constructed circa 1895 by Zachariah and Kate (Fuller) Belcher, the previous owners of the nearly 200-acre tract, called "Sunnybranch Farm," that would form the core of the "Natirar" estate. The Belcher house was demolished shortly after the completion of the Ladds' new residence.

The Ladds selected Boston-based architect and landscape architect Guy Lowell (1870-1927) to design their new residence, principal outbuildings, and the lay out the estate's English park-like landscape. A few years before, Lowell had designed the Ladds' other residence, "Eegonos" (now called "East of Eden") located on Frenchmans Bay at Bar Harbor, Maine. Lowell was associated in the design of "Natirar" by New York architect and nearby Bernardsville, New Jersey resident, Henry Janeway Hardenbergh (1847-1918).

The Ladds resided at "Natirar" until their deaths, Walter in 1933 and Kate in 1945. Following Kate Ladd's death, provisions in her late husband's will provided for the conveyance of the estate and a large cash endowment to the newly created Kate Macy Ladd Fund. The Fund sold off about half of the estate's acreage and made alterations and renovations to the former Ladd mansion to convert it for use as a convalescent facility, as specified in Mr. Ladd's will. The alterations and renovations in the late 1940s were carried out under the direction of the New York architectural firm of York and Sawyer.

Return to top